Panacur for rabbits with pasteurella/snuffles?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BaileyBoy

Reaction score
My poor bunny girl, Cosy has harboured snuffles for a while but it didn't appear to be bothering her. But just tonight, I've heard her wheezing and making very alarming sounds. I have heard that I should give her panacur.

Any tips or experiences to share?

Panacur is an anthelminic or a Dewormer. Upper respiratory issues are commonly linked to infections. Panacur won't do anything for it

If the noise is accompanied with discharge or becomes very frequent you will want to take the bunny to a rabbit vet

Last edited:
Does she have any discharge/snot coming out of her nose? If she does what colour is it? If she doesn't I would check and make sure she doesn't have hay in her nostril or anything caught in her airways. But, yeh, panacur won't work, for an infection she will need some really good antibiotics or injectable penicillin from a really good vet that knows how to treat rabbits, (not a dog and cat vet).

Last edited:
As has been mentioned, panacur is totally useless for an upper respiratory infection. If your rabbit does indeed have a URI, then you need to have your bun seen by a good rabbit vet asap, as a URI continuing to go untreated can lead to deterioration of tissue and bone in the nasal passage from the bacteria, and your bun will likely need to be on antibiotics for several weeks to months, to help get the infection under control. Metacam may also be helpful as an anti inflammatory.

If your bun is showing any signs of mouth breathing or respiratory distress, she needs to be seen by a vet immediately!
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Respiratory/Bacterial/URI.htm

I agree with the above; it sounds like your bun needs veterinary attention ASAP! Panacur won't help in this situation but depending on her level of respiratory distress she may need supplementary oxygen or nebulization in addition to systemic antibiotics.

Back