Pam

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dwarf_Angel04

Reaction score
I got this DH to pass feeces. The feeces weresoft and dark brown. Well today he changed feeces. Its now an orangecolor and VERY loose. He won't eat hay nor oats. All I can get him toeat that is anywhere near oats is Cream of Wheat. Remember...I'm stuck in my house and can't leave. I'm allowed on my road but theplow ran out of gas. Therefore the alley isn't plowed. Once the alleyis plowed we have to hire someone to come plow out our driveway. :?

I had given him pumpkin however, I'm trying to understand why its very runny.

Hi Dwarf_Angel04,

I'm jumping in here for a moment. I don't have any clue as to why it would be so runny.

I am wondering if you might make a Pellet Slurry, (put pellets in waterand let them turn to mush), and then mix in with it some crushed hay oroats and syringe feed it to him. If he's eating the Cream of Wheat,sometimes they'll like some alfalfa because of the sweetness of it. I'ddo whatever I could, as I'm sure you have, to get the roughage in him.

Sorry to hear that you're snowed in. The pictures on the news lookhorrendous. My heart goes out to you folks. As long as you can holdonto your electric, you'll be good to go.

Keep us posted.

-Carolyn

Well we just got plowed out. I went out to feedthe rabbits and saw the plow coming down the alley. I left my door openand all the lights on so he could see I had rabbits in the barn. Hewatched me fall and stomp through snow thats half way between my hipand knee. We asked him if he could plow us out and he said hewould do it tomorrow when he was in town. Well we walked inside andturned around and he was plowing us out! I was soooo happy!
I will try the pellets, I was going to get some when I was out therebut forgot. I wasn't about to fall on my butt with rabbit feed but nowI can! I'm tickled to pieces. :D

I normally use the Nutri Cal. I'vetried pellets slurries in the past -- certainly doesn't hurtanything. Cream of wheat is fine also.

The orange color isn't unusual due to the change in diet (or lackof). Blood would be a bad sign as it indicates smallhemoraghes in the intestines.

The runny stoolsmay be due to a bacterialinfection(such as E. coli)setting in. Ioften use Tetracycline in combination with the Nutri Cal.

Avoid mineral oil.

Pam

Amanda,

So glad you got plowed out. You must be so thankful for your freedom!

I've been thinking about you more than you know.

Keep us posted on your little guy and how you're fairing with the snow.

Pam,

How about NutriCal and the slurry. If it is something more than just achange in diet, how long would you go before you decided to use theTetracycline? How much and how often would you treat the little onewith it?

I would use right away NutriCal as well. You've got me hooked on thatstuff as soon as I see something amiss in my long-earred buddies.

-Carolyn

I used mineral oil at the VERY begining of all ofthis and thats what started his bowl movements to start coming out. Ihaven't used it since the one dose. What area is the NutriCal in at the farm stores? I'm not sure if I can even get to town yetto get Nutri Cal. It's normally a 20 min drive :p

Feeces areback to being dark but still loose... and still a very weak bunny

Dwarf_Angel04 wrote:
...What area is the Nutri Cal in at the farm stores?....
Usually on the shelf with anti-biotics, creams, lotion,etc. for livestock and horses

PetSmart sells same product labeled at Nutri-Stat for dogs andcats. Might even be less expensive than Nutri-Cal.

Buck

Thank you Buck, I'll have to go to the farmstore. That alone is 15 or so miles from my house. I went to my firstPetsmart a few weeks ago and the nearest one is a good 50 miles from myhome. :)

Thanks again... off to town now... :)

I discourage the use of mineral oil because it'sso easily aspirated. It coats the lungs and the rabbit diesof suffocation (very upsetting to see a rabbit die needlessly this way).

The Nutri Cal/Stat contains oils in an ointment form that is not easilyaspirated if well mixed. (The oil has a tendency to separate)

Pam

Well, I took LT2 to the vet yesterday instead ofgoing to town to get Nutri Cal.She gave him agoodclear on his heart andlungs as theyboth soundedexcellent!The vet gave him liquidsbecause he wasdehyratedand probio which I had then gave one dosage to him.I didn't sleep as I was up with him all night. He was sitting up withhis head down as he still couldn't hold it up. I took a snooze from 2am to 4 am and when I woke up he was on his side. He stayed in thatposition till 11 am this morning. I then decided it was time for him togo so I had my uncle put him to sleep. This isn't the first time thathe has gone through this as he did it about a year ago as well. Henever really went back to his old self. I gave him my best and thatsall I could have done. He was giving up on himself too...wouldn't eatanything and was pushing me away when I tried giving him anything.

Happy Holidays everyone!

~*~Amanda~*~

Aww, I am so sorry about the passing of yoursweet little bun:(. It sounds like you did the very best thatyou could do.I know that he will be greatlymissed. Try to get some rest. Take CareBeckie

Thank ya'll! He hadn't been on the showtable in over a year. His daughters have been retired to the breedingprogram but his grandchildren are kicking butt on the table!Now I need another herd buck or doeto replacehim*wink at Pam*

I have one of those liquid snowball things and just stuck 2 of LT2'spics in it (has a removeable slot so you can stick your own pics in)

~*~Amanda~*~

A grandbaby of LT2's :p

attachment.php

You know how the Dwarf Hotot breeders are Amanda-- nobody needs to buy anything because everyone shares their nicebucks :) Matthew will probably be showing more this year, andyou are welcome to breed to any of his bucks that you like.

Pam

So Sorry, Amanda,

You did the little guy a favor though. That's his picture? Certainly agorgeous rabbit. I'd be surprised if he didn't have any awards.

I completely support your decision to put him down. I'd want the same thing if I were as uncomfortable as him.

I'm so sorry it came to what it did, but he lived a good, happy, loved life in your tender care.

-Carolyn

Thank you Pam :)I still need to investinto a doe tho. ;)My nice little buck is too closely relatedto all the does in the barn! He has a nice sister that he shares thesame father and the mothers are full sisters. I need to introduce a newline even if its one rabbit :p

Keep me in mind as Steph sells off her herd... if she hasn't already!

Thanks Carolyn,

Yes he was a nice show rabbit. He did better making babies then he didon the show table. All of his daughters have at least 1 BOB AND 1 BOSon them along with his grandchildren are kickin' butt on the table too!

Dwarf_Angel04 wrote:
Thank you Pam :)I still need to invest into a doetho. ;)My nice little buck is too closely related to all thedoes in the barn! He has a nice sister that he shares the same fatherand the mothers are full sisters. I need to introduce a new line evenif its one rabbit :p

Keep me in mind as Steph sells off her herd... if she hasn't already!
We can set a doe aside for you -- you can email me at[email protected] with your specs(what you're looking for in head, body, show type, broodtype). Steph's been busy so has been slow on getting back onher emails.

Pam

Thanks Pam :D You're such a sweetheart.;)You sure life live to help others in any way you can. Itstoo bad ya don't live closer cause I'd surely adopt little Matthew as aDwarf Hotot partner. :pI need to start doing some havingbreeding/culling just because at ARBA convention this year, I will bein Open. :shock:

Enjoy!

~*~Amanda~*~

Today we have Christmas at my grandparents. Well towards the end of thenight my cousin's gf/wife webored. Shewas tired of playing games and wanted to play make over. Well, aftershebugged everyone and threatned to play make uponmy cousin and her dog I decided to go ahead and let herplay make over on me. Well she did... I have a perm and its reallycurly. Well she straightned myhair.. and stuck make uponme. I got her laughing when she asked me why I don't wearmake up.Itold herI'd rather sleep in thatmess with my face LOL! Well anyways, the is what she did with meandI didn't realize how long my hair had gotton. I haven'tcut it since May cause of my perm. I was working on growing out mybangs and they are ALMOST there!

Latest posts

Back