Palpating and Nest box Question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonnie Lee

Reaction score
Hi, So I bred my doe Moshi to my Buck Harvey. They're both Pure Mini lops ( I think it's equivalent to a holland lop in Australia though)

So Moshi is 12 days in and I have been reading up on palpating but then I read you can't palpate past 15 days or you'll kill the babies... so It's made me really nervous as to holding Moshi and giving her big runs and things. Is a rabbits pregnancy really fragile?

I did try have a go at palpating her today but she didn't want me touching her tummy and just wanted cuddles instead so I didn't want to stress her.

If you do palpate how far do you press to feel the marble sized babies? Everything I read is really mixed and confusing...

Also about the nest box. Moshi is in my bedroom and it's quite warm but not hot as Moshi is a cashmere and she doesn't look as if it's hot for her but I was wondering if I actually need a nest in her cage? it's not a wire bottom, it's plastic but she has a blanket on top of the plastic and then her litter tray at one end of the cage. Would she get mixed up with her litter tray and turn it into a nest if I don't put a nest box in? I've noticed she's been tossing her hay all over the cage and she's been particularly laying in one corner of her cage the other side of the litter tray which she never used to so does that mean her nest will be there?

I've researched so much and I felt so confident at the start but now it's been done I'm so stressed that something I'm doing is wrong or something will go wrong and I'll forget the answer or have the wrong answer to it...

Also I've still been feeding her food the same and giving her, her veggies as I usually do... is it okay to feed her the same about of veggies whilst pregnant or should I lessen it? she seems great but I just don't know now =="

Thank you so much for any help I can get!

I can't help you with the palpation questions. I have severe CTS, and have very little feeling in my fingers.

I would give her a nest box. She'll need somewhere to build a nest. I put shavings in the bottom, with straw on top. Then they re-arrange it and build an actual nest in there.

I would keep feeding her like you usually do. I've found that my does just pick at their feed right before delivery.

Good luck! I can't wait to see baby pics! :)

I usually palpate at Day 14. I palpated the four does we bred and I felt marbles in three of them. Sure enough we had litters of four, four, and two. The last two were from my moms polish and both litters were dead when we found them and on the wire. All kits were normal but dead. I didnt think me palpating them hurt them, I dont normally grab hard at all just enough when i barely feel a ball I quit. I'm not sure if my moms polish are more sensitive but none of my tans ever let it affect them. What you said made me nervous though I hope I didnt do anything bad.

How I palpate is put the doe down on a table. I have her rest her front feet on my right hand and stretch her up enough to be comfortable for her where she isnt trying to get down. I then take my other hand and start right above her hips. You might have to go up or down depending on her length of body. But start VERY gentle. Only put a little pressure at a time and start closing your hand and almost sliding down a little then move back up and repeat. It feels like your about to touch your fingers and it will be weird trust me. But if she is pregnant at Day 14 they feel like semi big grapes. I would get someone else to do it for you first and show you how to do it. That's how I learned from one of the tans I sold bred. We took her to a show at 2weeks and my friend showed me how to palpate.

It sounds like you are doing fine. Dont worry you have us to help answer any questions and I think we can usually answer them. If not I can refer you to a forum that can. Don't stress yall will be fine and yes I can't wait to see the baby pictures either :D

EDIT:: Didn't see my mom was logged in lol
- SARAH (woahlookitsme)

I suck at palpating, truly, so I am zero help there.

BUT! I would definitely, strongly urge you to provide her a nestbox--but only at about day 27 or 28 of her pregnancy. Put it in too early and she might soil it or be confused by its presence. I like to use a wooden nestbox that has been thoroughly cleaned and disinfected, then line the bottom with one layer of either paper towels or blank newsprint. Then top that with a thin layer of shavings, then hay or straw on top of that, stuffed. She will pull hair from her chest and belly to further line the nest as the time approaches. :)

Oh and about the food, just keep feeding her the same amount that you have been, of pellet and veggies, until about the third week. At that point I just make sure that her bowl is always full, and through about two weeks of nursing she gets unlimited hay and pellet and continued veggie treats. Nursing and labor can be really hard on some does.

She's on her 14th day now but I won't palpate at all because I don't have anyone that can show me in time. It's not important for me to do it I really just wanted to get the experience but if she's not pregnant it doesn't even matter I will leave it for awhile.

I'm really sorry for I scared you about palpating I don't think you hurt your kits. It was just some information I read is really intense.

Thank you everyone for helping me with this it's been so nerve wracking.

As for the nest box I don't have a wooden box :/ is there an alternative the us easily made? If not I can make up a wooden one but what dimensions does it have to be? :)

are pregnant does supposed to be hyper and messy? She's been extra naughty lately although she hasn't been aggressive at all and still wants attention.

I will defintely load lots of pictures if all goes well fingers crossed. :)

I agree with the solid floor thing. I always hated the wire floors in boxes because i was always scared the babies feet would get caught in the wire. People also have used plastic tubs or shoe boxes as temporary nest boxes

I have a doe is always a little more anxious than my other ones and when she has a litter it just gets worse. She becomes irritated easily so I always have to watch how I approach her and her nestbox. Never agressive just more protective

Hi :)

so I'm getting a bit confused lol. Like with the nest box thing MOshis cage isn't wire at all it's a plastic bottom with a blanket ontop of the plastic. So would I just put a plastic tub on top of that? :)

You can yes. If you go to the link that Grace posted and see the nestbox pictured you can see that it has wire in the bottom. This is what we mean when babies get stuck in the wire (as in the bottom wire of the nestbox)

Oh I understand what you mean now sorry I'm so slow I don't know why I didn't pick up on that before. Do nest bOxes need that semi top part? Cos I don't think I will find a tub like that. I think I'll get my dad to build a nest box it looks safer although is it possible to make a wood one with a plastic bottom to easily clean it? Or does is the plastic nob preferred for the kits warmth? Sorry for all the questions my nerves are really building up.

Today I finally got hold of paper based no chemical pellets for the litters it's taken so long... People have bee. Giving me the weirdest looks when I say it's for my rabbits litter... So i'm a bit relieved as I was worried shed take her litter hay for the nest instead of her clean hay.

Thanks everyone for all the help it's been soo great you cant even imagine how grateful I am. I think I just needed that bit of reassurance. There is one breeder close by which has been hobby breeding bunnies for 5 years I think she's trying to make a certain colour not sure but she said if I come across any problems she will help :) so it's really nice of her.

Back