Pain meds after spaying

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tiabia0

Reaction score
I got my rabbit spayed today at the humane society but they don't give out pain meds so I was thinking about asking the vet. Any good kinds of meds?

People often say Metacam, I think on here, but that might be wrong, lol.

Metacam. Tiabia, more notes on this in your original thread. You can ask at HAWS about Torbugesic (sp?) additional injections.

You guys who are experts, help me here. Doesn't Torb' have a 2-4 hour duration time? Best for immediate pain need. Metacam pain relief is extended for a greater duration? Try www.morfz.com under pain med applications. Something like the different types of insulin you can take...

We've used Buprenex (by injection) for our disabled girl also. But most folks will avoid those needle jabs whenever they can. I think our buns prefer less sticks into their skin, too!

my vet gave me buprenex for Belle, and i have to say i totally agree that she needed pain meds, she looked like she was in pain.

i hope your baby feels better soon

tiabia0 wrote:
Our vet said she shouldn't need medicine, she'll probably bounce back to normal tomorrow.

Your bun WILL need pain meds asa spay is quite an invasive surgery as opposed to a neuter. You will definitely need to insist on pain meds (Metacam) at least. Maybe call around to a couple of places that are nearest you and hopefully someone will be nice enough to give you some:(.

It is also recommended that you give the bun the meds for at least 3 days, but she may need them more like 5. You'll want to make sure she is eating/drinking within the first 48 hours max. Let us know how it goes;).

Good Luck!

Wow. I've never had a female bounce back to normal the following day after surgery. Metacam makes a difference as icequeen and AngelnSnuffy outlined.

Our rabbit-savvy vet always prescribed three days of post-op metacam.

Let's see, I've just had an abdominal hysterectomy or OVH, and now the doctor sent me home with no pain relief? Invasive is right! Do Isit hunchedin pain/ache and hurt miserably for the next 2-3 days, or ...

Wow, Butter got neutered on Monday, and I had to give HIM pain meds (The vet did give them to me to give to him, though... It's labelled "Torb/Val"...I'm not sure what the 'torb' stands for, but 'val' is 'valium'. They instructed me to give .5cc of it to him twice daily or as needed, and all he had was a neuter.
You're definitely going to want to ask your vet about pain medication :? Having your tummy cut open and getting something removed from it hurts a LOT later; what your vet said is a load of daisy sneezes.

A vet said they don't need pain meds?? IDIOT!!! I have an offer for that vet....let me do surgery on him/her without pain meds. I wouldn't even charge for the procedure (sorry, stuff like that really ticks me off). I don't even want to get started on that. My primary vet is quick to pull the trigger on pain meds for anything. Here is the deal on pain meds.

Metacam---Most vets give it because it is considered "safe". A marginal analgesic at best. But better than nothing. It's the animal version of Tylenol. Not good on the liver for long term or if the animal is anywhere near dehydrated (and remember that being sedated is dehydrating in itself).

Torbugesic (Butorphenol)-Very effective but is very short lived...in some cases less than 2 hours. Better options available. This is a controlled drug.

Buprenex (Buprenorphine)-The absolute best. It can be given PO, SQ or IM. It is very effective for up to 12 hours. This is a controlled drug.

Tramadol-Very effective. Many vets do not know of this wonderful drug...and although it requires a prescription, it is not as tightly controlled as the other narcotics. Up side---it's not expensive at all and very effective. Down side---It only comes in a 50mg tablet so it has to be compounded into a suspension. There is also some evidence of some issues when it is compounded in higher concentrations. And it can be easily flavored to make it more palatable...grape is the flavor of the month around here.

And just a comment on needle jabs....it is the most effective way to adminster meds. You know it's there in the right dosage. I use the tiny human insulin needles....30g in most cases...and it's so much easier for me and less stressful for the animal.

Randy

Randy, how do you feel about Ketamine as a pain med during/after surgery? My vet told me that it lasts up to 24 hours and if the rabbit is in much pain after that he wants to see them. My vet is one of the ones who doesn't hand out pain meds regularly, but I'm glad of that because I later found out that Metacam causes stasis in one of my dwarf hotot girls.

I'm curious about the Tramadol too. I know you've talked about it before. My hubby and I take it for fibromyalgia, and from what I know I thought it wasn't a very good painkiller except for those with abnormal problems like us? I could be wrong, especially if it does work well in rabbits.

Well...Ketamine is used as an anesthesia and I understand that some vets are using it for pain meds. I never have. I was working with my primary vet and a couple of vet students last weekand that topic came up and all of them seemed to be shocked about any vet allowing that out of the office. "Special K"....as it's known on the street...is a very tightly controlled drug. The only time my rabbits have had any is is prep for surgery. But my curiosity is up now...think I will have to do some detective work on this one. I do have some articles on this topic somewhere...but I can't seem to find the link for some reason.

I have been using Tramadol for quite some time and have found it to be almost as effective as buprenex...and doesn't create so much drama to have it. I used it as a primary pain med with several rabbits with jaw abscesses and routinely use it with cottontails. It's less costly than the others too.

Randy

Randy, would you want to use a slightly less of a dose than normal for a spay? Just wondering, that's what I was thinking, but I don't use such drugs. Might be something to bring up as this is for members with spay issues...

Yes! Do give her what you have. Yay, she'll feel so much better! That dosage sounds fine!

Randy? I'm not so great as dosages, but this sounds a bit light. What do you think? At least it's better than nothing!

Dosingof drugs is calculated bypatient weightmultiplied times the dosing parameter divided by the concentration of the drug. I personally feel that metacam, while better than nothing, is totally insufficient for post-op pain control....and we have done a lot of spays/neuters. I have discussed this with several of the exotics vets I know and they all agree. But to answer the question, if I were to use metacam, I would use .5cc of 1.5mg/mlfor my 8 pound rabbit.

I would urge extreme caution in administering drugs. You have to know what is involved in calculating the dosing. For example, I have Tramadol and it has to be compounded. Well, Doctor 1may write the RX for a concentration of 5mg/ml whileDoctor 2might specify 10mg/ml for the drug. Now, lets say the calculated dosing of Tramadol as written by Dr. 1 is for a 1.2cc for say a 4.5 pound rabbit. Now if you give that as compounded by Dr. 2, you have effectively doubled the dose....not always a good thing. And the actual concentration may not be so obvious. And some drugs my be labeled as "Drug X" but it might have different concentrations...therefore, the dosing for one 5 pound rabbit might be radically different for a different concentration of the same drug. I would again urge extreme caution in giving dosage information just because one particular animal was given that dosing. If the concentration of the drug is different, it could lead to disasterous results.

As far as my dosing of drugs...my vet and I have a firm understanding and agreement on pain control. In almost every case, I use the standard dosing amount and use the medium dosing...in other words, if the dosing range is 2-4 mg/kg....I usually do 3 mg/kg. I usually do a little more for first dosing....it's a wildlife trick we use for "shock" dosing and then back off the subsequent dosing. I also attempt to limit drug use as much as possible because there is always a trade off even in the so called "safe" drugs.

Randy

Well last time my rabbit used metacam is was .5cc and that's what the package says. I gave it to her and she ate a little more hay and also went pee and poop!

Randy, my vet does the shot himself at the office. He doesn't send any home. Although now that I look up the effects (and abuses) I understand why Fey and Sprite seemed woozy and dizzy when they got home! But they still ate and pooped within half an hour of getting home so no complaining here.

Back