P@H bedding?

Discussion in 'Housing and Environment' started by Apollo’s Slave, Jan 17, 2020.

Help Support Rabbits Online by donating:

1. Jan 17, 2020 #1

Apollo’s Slave

Apollo’s Slave

Apollo’s Slave

I was cleaning Apollo’s litter tray and as I went to get the litter, I remembered, It’s finished. I’m away this weekend and my mums busy, and can’t get it today either. I have pets at home ‘wood shavings’ that I’ve had for a while. It’s says that it’s safe for rabbits on it but a lot of their products say that. I know that aspen is fine but Pine and Cedar aren’t. But it only says ‘softwood’ on it.
    What I’m asking is, can I use it as litter? And does anyone know what it’s made of?

2. Jan 17, 2020 #2

Augustus&HazelGrace

Augustus&HazelGrace

Augustus&HazelGrace

Pine and aspen seem really hard to tell apart so I wouldn't risk it. Just find some old newspaper or an old phonebook and shred it.

3. Jan 17, 2020 #3

Blue eyes

Blue eyes

Blue eyes

Supporting Member

Does it say anything about being kiln-dried? If so, it is safe.

Otherwise, even if it is not kiln-dried, you'll know it is not cedar as cedar is a hardwood. Cedar is the really smelly one. If you've had this bag awhile, it may not smell strongly. If so, it shouldn't hurt to use it this one time. It is prolonged exposure to the phenols that can cause respiratory issues.

4. Jan 17, 2020 #4

Apollo’s Slave

Apollo’s Slave

Apollo’s Slave

Thank you. I’ve decided to use a little at the very bottom, and add loads of hay. I’ll have my mum check him. I’m only gone until Sunday evening, so I’ll probably change it just in case.

Blue eyes likes this.
  5. Jan 18, 2020 #5

Sunshinerabbit lover

Sunshinerabbit lover

Sunshinerabbit lover

Pine and aspen are both softwood but i think you should swich to something labled clearly as aspen just to be safe..

Draft saved Draft deleted