Oxytocin

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kadish Tolesa

Reaction score
I had a Netherland dwarf doe with a stuck kit recently.

Ihave some questions and amlooking all over for help , even calling several N.D.breeders. As far as the stuck kit, I gently pulled itout and then went to an animal referral center. They gave hera shot of Oxytocin and oral calcium, ( over 300.$) and thenlet her go home. One day later she passed a stillborn kit,and the next day one more. She's doing fine now, and is much friendliernow that she's not expecting !

My Q.'s are : according to two Netherlanddwarfbreeders, Oxytocin can be administered by the rabbitbreeder herself/himself--and if it's the right dose, she should havethe kits in minutes, not days. Where does one aquire Oxytocin?

Next, are there any other medical treatments that can be handled at home ?

RABBIT BREEDERS BEWARE!!! Be armed with enough cash:?:?:?! I'd love to show and breed Netherlanddwarfs ; but I wonder how some N.D. breeder/show-ers handleall the expences ?

Kadish Tolesa :pinkpansy:

thats strange ,..b/c with injections of pitlabor is usually over and done within thirty minutes...in most cases ifan injection of pit does not speed up delivery the cervix is not fullydilated to have anything pass easily..i forget what hormone it is, butit basically looks like a cotton ball on a string and is applieddirectly onto the cervix and as soon as dilation occurs it is pulledout ... i really cant belive that pit would be sold OTC ..maybe itsdifferent in animal cases...and depending on the amtofpit they gave her, you may noticemore leakingthanusual of milk

I have been told you cant buy it in Pa.i dontuse it because it has to be given at the right time and im afraid iwould do more harm than good.bluebird

Latest posts

Back