Oxbow Joint Support

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrSki

Reaction score
After a wellness visit to the vets today, we discussed starting Sydney on a Glucosamine product to help her arthritis and maybe ease the continued tail munching (previous thread in the infirmary section - still an issue we deal with off and on). I recall having seen Oxbows product in a small animal catalog and would like to use their brand over one formulated for dogs/cats through the vet. Has anyone used this product? Any down sides? Sydney eats primarily Oxbow foods, grasses and treats, and I have always been happy with their brand, but would like a bit more information from other users of this product. Sydney is 9 1/2 years old, Mini-Rex and weighs 4lbs. 2 ounces. She eats pellets, orchard grass, a variety of fresh greens, and fruit/veggie/Oxbow treats. I found them for $8.99 for 60 tabs, through Dr. Foster and Smith. Is this a good price or is there a cheaper rate? I still have to check Oxbows website for a price. Any input would be appreciated.

Last edited:
I use the joint supplement for my rabbits as they do agility and I want to hel keep them healthy. They do like the tablets, so it's not hard to get them to eat them.
For his weight and that he has arthritis, you can give 2 tabs per day.

$8.99 for a container is not a bad price, but if you are buying online you do need to consider shipping costs. I have seen them at $11 or $12 for a container in stores, but I know those jack up the price a fair bit since I pay about $8 for them.

I actually picked up four out of their 5 supplement types (I skipped the multi vitamin) to try with my buns since I can get them for just $3.50 through their Oxbow veterinary program. (Usually I find the prices we're offered are about half the prices I see in stores). Whether or not they're actually helping, I'm not sure, but the buns do enjoy them. Some of them have a fairly strong odor and at first they'd look at me sideways and usually one bun would decide they were edible and eat them both before the second bun showed interest, but now when I shake the container they come running.
Oxbow recently posted on their facebook page ( http://www.facebook.com/oxbowpet ) asking how their customers liked them and I replied that my rabbits love the taste but I was wondering how they decided what to put in them and got this response:
"Hi, Christina! The Natural Science Supplements were formulated through the consultation of extensive scientific research, as well as by utilizing the guidance of top exotics veterinarians and nutritionists with extensive practice in holistic medicine and the use of herbal ingredients. Research references included a myriad of top peer-reviewed scientific journals and leading veterinary scholarship relating to herbal and holistic medicine. Only the safest and most beneficial herbs were chosen for formulation, at levels appropriate for inclusion in the daily diets of small pets. Please just let us know if you have any additional questions!"
I actually went to a dinner talk by an Oxbow vet last night (Dr. Kholes) which was really informative and only made me appreciate their company more.

Thanks
I do like all the Oxbow products, and they do seem to have the science/research behind their products. I can't find the Joint Tabs or other supplements in any of the stores close by, so I'll have to order them, but since I can also order some of her other products, maybe I can save a bit on shipping and not have to travel to the further pet supply to pick up her other treats. I think it will be worth a try since, I don't want the arthritis to progress at a quick rate. I'd rather do what I can to slow down the progression. She has a few other strikes against her in her senior years (bad cataract in one eye and clouding of the other), along with some balance issues from the arthritis she currently has, so I don't think it will hurt. Thanks for the info------:bunny24

My one bunny vet carries oxbow products. He said if we see anything from oxbow that pet stores don't carry he can order it. Maybe try your bunny vet. They may help you out with that.

Latest posts

Back