Oxbow hay quality

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I heard that Oxbow is really good about replacing unsatisfactory hay. I'm glad it worked out for you.

I hope I get the same results from Bunny Bale. I received a 25 lb. order of "premium timothy" and got a box of yellowish-green straw that none of my four would give a second look at. I sent them an email over a week ago, but haven't heard back.

I feed my guys the Oxbow pellets but I opened a bag of the Oxbow hay that they sell at Petsmart and was not pleased at all by what I saw, small pieces, no color and it didn't even smell good! TBH, the Kaytee hay that they sell at Petsmart looks and smells better! I'm glad that you are getting replacement hay at no charge, let us know what the quality is like when you get it.

RexyRex wrote:
I feed my guys the Oxbow pellets but I opened a bag of the Oxbow hay that they sell at Petsmart and was not pleased at all by what I saw, small pieces, no color and it didn't even smell good! TBH, the Kaytee hay that they sell at Petsmart looks and smells better! I'm glad that you are getting replacement hay at no charge, let us know what the quality is like when you get it.
Whenever I have to buy hay at the petstore, I always open the bag and sniff/feel it. They must think I'm strange.

I've wondered about what others thought of the hay, too! After I got Phoebe Mae in Seattle, I went to the pet store to pick up some things for her and got a bag of Oxbow timothy hay. When we got back to the house, I too was surprised to see it was full of short strands. I gave Phoeb a big handful and she hardly touched it over the next few days... I figured she didn't like hay and we'd have to work on that, but when we got back to Alaska I gave her a big handful of timothy hay (we bought a 100 pound bale a month ago from the feed store) and she immediately started eating it. She loves our hay, but has hardly touched the Oxbow when I give it to her. Rory and Skyler eat the Oxbow okay though.

slavetoabunny wrote:
RexyRex wrote:
Whenever I have to buy hay at the petstore, I always open the bag and sniff/feel it. They must think I'm strange.

:biggrin2: I do that too! I open the bag and dig towards the center to make sure that it's not brown and dusty. After my second bag of really gross hay I started to do that, I get some funny looks but no one has said anything to me yet!

I bet Oxbow just got more business than it can handle. You are paying for high quality. You'renot a quality control inspector and shouldn't have to ask for replacements.

As for hay racks, I've found them unsatisfactory because the buns just get all the hay on the floor and don't eat them. Now I use spinning hay balls I bought at Petco.

http://www.petco.com/product/13699/Super-Pet-Rollin-The-Hay-Spinning-Hay-and-Salad-Dispenser.aspx

It take a minute or so to load long hay but the rabbits can't pull out more hay than they eat.

I just came back from Petsmart in Saskatoon and couldn't find OxBow brand anything there. So maybe the canadian stores don't carry it yet

degrassi wrote:
I would buy Botanical, and orchard grass again. They are a softer hay that my bunnies like. Who is the Canadian supplier that you bought from? Cause I can get mine from Calgary at Chewsy Pets. Some of the forum members mentioned that Petsmart started to carry OXbow. But I checked the Edmonton stores and they have none.

Luvr of Wabbits and Polar Bears wrote:
I just came back from Petsmart in Saskatoon and couldn't find OxBow brand anything there. So maybe the canadian stores don't carry it
There is nothing in the Edmonton Petsmarts.

I get mine at Chewsy Pets in Calgary. You could call them and see if they would ship to you.

http://chewsypets.com/

My replacement hay came today :)

The oat hay and Timothy look better but the Botanical is still short pieces. Its still not the quality I was expecting from Oxbow. But I'm glad that they stepped up and tried to resolve it.

Probably wont' be ordering from them again though.

Latest posts

Back