Ox Bow?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoolWaterRabbitry

Reaction score
Would you recommend it? Hay or the pellets. My rabbits are all on purina complete and kaytee alfalfahay, but while I was in the store today I came across Ox Bow alfalfa hay, I was thinking about getting the grass hay of their's when my buns grow up since I'm very allergic to timothy hay, but I took a look at the Alfalfa and it looked a lot better, less leafy pieces and morestems for better chewing. Plus the crude fiber was higher.

I also staw a thing of ox bow organic pellets that again looked better in the overall fiber and vitamins.

So would you recommend the brand? If not what do you feed your rabbits? :)

I feed Oxbow BB/T to 2 of my buns. Both do really well on it.
I don't use their hay and I can't really afford it, I buy hay by the bale from local farmers. When I do go to a store that sells Oxbow, the hay does smell nice.

Oxbow is considered one of the highest qualities in bunny food and hay. :thumbup

I feed Oxbow Bunny Basic T and Oxbow 15/23 to my buns. They love it and Kirby's coat in particular is thriving on the BBT pellets, even the very little that I give him (he's a pudgey lil boy).

I have fed Oxbow timothy hay but found it to be much too dusty and piece-y towards the bottom of the batchfor my taste. My bunnies took to it ok, but they weren't in love with it. Our shelter buns eat Oxbow timpthy from time to time when someone donates it. They love it! I find Oxbow timothy tousually containvery long strands, which is great for bunnies to chew on. It's a great quality in a hay (length of the hay pieces). My problem with it was primarily that I bought a 50 lb box and when I got down to the last 15 lbs or so, the bottom of the batch was soooo powdery and dusty that I couldn't feed it cuz my buns wouldn't eat it, and it made my husband sneeze for weeks.

Purina is an excellent pellet, my rabbits do wonderfully on it. If your bunny is doing well on it, I don't recommend switching. Changing pellets can cause more problems than it's worth, so my motto tends to be, "don't fix what isn't broken" as far as that goes.

As far as hay, maybe just try finding an alternative grass or mixed grass hay, if you're allergic to timothy.

I've heard that people with allergies to Timothy have less problems with Orchard Grass.

I totally recommend Oxbow. I feed the Bunny Basics T pellets and I buy their hay. Their hay is a bit expensive, but for one bun it's not bad.

Well the pellets were just a thought, since they all dig right into their purina :) But I had picked up some of the hay since I was running low on the kaytee and was out this morning after cleaning cages. Oh boy, they loved it! It seems easier for them all to eat since it's not as leafy and flakey. The two little ones must have vaccumed theirs up since they are now watching and waiting for more. ^_^

Kaytee is a very, very poor brand so I do reconmend swtiching hay to Oxbow, or a local feed stores hay.

However, I feed Purina too, and absoltuly love it (Alhtough I fiddle with the idea of switching to Mana Pro Show)

Yeah, I picked the kaytee hay up at one of the stores since it was the only brand of hay they had in alfalfa, but I noticed that it just does not look that pleasing and is really matted together. I like the smell and overall texture of theox bow brand. :)

I feed the BBT and their hays. My bf was really allergic to local farm hay, but he does fine with their Timothy. I also love to use their oat hay and orchard grass, and alfalfa as a treat. They also have a really nice botanical hay that has herbs and stuff in it. If you can find a local store that sells the large boxes of hay, it's not too expensive because you save on shipping. It's of course 10x as expensive as farm hay, but if the farm hay bothers you, it might be a better solution.

Both of my rabbits eat oxbox pellets and they are at very healthy weight and their coats are wonderful. I've always had problems with constant molting with other brands. I love oxbox and will never go back.

For hay they get kaytee because its the easiest for me to get ahold of and they go through an entire bag in two days. However lately I've been thinking about how great oxbox pellets are that maybe the hay is a million times better as well.

I love oxbox :)

I feed my crew Oxbow pellets, but not their hay. The Oxbow hay always seemed really dusty to me - maybe it was just bad luck but it really bothered my allergies. I've been ordering hay online from either Kleenmama's or Sweet Meadow farms. My bunnies enjoy the hay from both those places and it seems to be a lot less dusty.

Back