Overnight bonding?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catlyn

Reaction score
I started re-bonding Storm and Lümi a couple days ago (october) as the required two months after neuter have passed for both and my parents are thinking of moving next week or shortly after that.
So the first bonding session went really well when compared to earlier attempts. It was my bad to think that the reason was in the rabbits.
Today i let them meet again, and they've been all chummy with each other for about 4-5 hrs now, in that time Lümi grunted only once when Storm jumped further away from him. Storm also grunted as a reply to Lümi's. That was all on the "negative interaction" part and Storm even got groomed some a couple hours ago. They're peacefully lounging the small room at the moment with no visible signs of hostility whatsoever.
In another 2-3 hrs it would be their dinner and time to be enclosed for the night.
So i was wondering- as both recent bonding attempts have gone well, should i try and leave them together and chummy overnight or still separate them for the night?
I wouldn't mind doing either, so i was wondering what other people thought.

I think you should leave them together all day so then you can watch them, and if it goes well, do it at night. (someone correct me if I'm wrong, because I'm not to experienced in bonding)

They are currently onto their pellet meal and although they're nudging at it and pulling the tray around they're not competing with violence. I think i might just try an all-night stay.
But should i try to stay awake longer for supervising or not?

I'd stay and supervise for the first hour or two, and then if they are fine, I'd say you can you to sleep.

Going by that logic i could've gone to sleep a long time ago, as now it's another hour that safely passed. I'm now thinking that they'll be fine overnight.

Just saw this...

For the overnight, will their situation change? In other words are they out and about now and you are considering locking them together into a smaller area for night time?

I started off at around 3-4pm in a 2m by about 70cm area. I know it's below the advised minimum, but it's better than a 60*90cm crate. They usually free roam about 12-16 hrs anyway, so that compensates for it?
I stayed with both boys for about 2 hrs and they were becoming mildly friendly, no-hostile as i wrote above. Then i opened the panel door and let them come and go in the room as they want. I am currently still in this situation. I have been here 98% of the time, save for the 5 minutes i went to the restroom, and nothing except that pair of grunts have happened. They had their mealtime together and had a friendly tug of war with it, no harm happened then either.
We have to leave them in the enclosed area for the night because the boys have a bad habit of unknowingly stomping on our faces when we sleep, and we still haven't managed to get all wallpapers out of Lümi's way.

Sorry for the bad lighting, the lamps are in a bad place 😅

This is the setup they first started off with, and the one that will stay for their nightly space too.
The panels are 50cm wide and about 90 cm tall, there are four of them in a row, the last one can't be seen well because our heating element is blocking the sight.
The flooring is foam toy mats with fleece on top, there's a water bowl, and a litter box, a cat ball toy and there should also be gnaw sticks lying around for them. We've also yet to find a hidey house where those fellas could fit in. We can't use any paper or cardboard because Lümi would eat it right away.16018344832627715175737379856501.jpg

My only potential concern with leaving them overnight was if they had been bonding in a larger area and were then going to be placed in a considerably smaller area for this overnight. If the space is reasonably roomy and you don't think they will be bothered by the closer proximity, then they'll probably be ok. I would sleep nearby, though, so you'll be able to hear any problems -- just in case.

I'll just have to bet on the fact that my parents would hear the commotion for me, as the boys' enclosure is in their room.
I don't think that they would mind the close proximity, as that was, after all, what they started off with.
Thanks for the input!

Latest posts

Back