Overgrooming / behavior change problem

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jedichef222

Reaction score
Today when I got up, there was a noticable amount of loose fur in the bunnies' cage. I wasn't too surprised since they've been shedding. Then while I was there, both bunnies started humping each other and tearing each others' fur out. (Nutmeg was doing this more aggressively, but then she's always been the slightly dominant one). They're almost 4 months old and not yet fixed, and this is the first time I've seen any behavior like this.

So, first thought into my head is "what if the gender fairy visited?" (Though I was told they were both females by the breeder, and she seems extremely knowledgeable). As far as I can tell, they are both still female. And I know they sometimes hump (even two females) to establish dominance. And Copine did hump Nutmeg back.

I also thought about pregnancy / false pregnancy ... but it's the other bunnies' fur they're pulling, not their own.

So far, there are no injuries / bald spots / etc. from this, and I'll be watching them closely. I'm just a bit concerned over the sudden change in behavior. :?

They calmed down, but later started over again and I had to spray them with water.

Sounds to me like it's time to seperate your guys until they are fixed and you can rebond them. Buns will hit puberty around the age they are now and may start getting aggressive toward each other as they are trying to establish dominance and as they become territorial. I think you're really at the line right now and if they continue being saggressive with each other - it's time to split them up.

Are you going to get them fixed when they are old enough? You really may want to seperate them now while thay are still somewhat getting along just in case you come home one day to find that there has been a bigger fight and someone is hurt.

Caging them next to each other until they are spayed will let them continue to remember each other it will likely help you to bond them easier after they have been fixed.

Yes, I'll probably get them spayed when they're a bit older.

They seem to have calmed down a lot today, though they're still shedding like crazy. It was just odd because they haven't been aggressive to each other hardly at all until yesterday, then suddenly they're going nuts.

Thanks for your advice.

Latest posts

Back