over feeding bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mygrl2k3

Reaction score
From here i read the so many oz per lb butsomewhere i read 1/4 of a cup for a 7 to 10 lbs rabbit. (thats if iremember that right) i dont have a food scale so i was just feeding luvthe same amount the shelter said they gave her. Well when i read that,i took her bowl which was half full and it was 1/2 of a cup. Now if mymath is correct she eats 4 times the amount she should. Nowdo i just start doing 1/4 a cup a day which is easy to measure orslowly cut it down.

Cristy

For those overfeeding your rabbit: see BunnyMommy's post about "More Treat Advice Needed".

It's highly recommended that you not overfeed your rabbit as to itleads to many health problems for them. Your call on how youwant to cut it back, but I'd definitely cut back.

Up to 8 months old: unlimited feed because they're still growing.

After that, it's recommended:

2-4pounds of body weight: 1/8 cup ofpellets per day

5-7pounds of body weight: 1/4 cup ofpellets per day

8-10poundsof body weight: 1/2 cup of pellets per day

11-15pounds of body weight: 3/4 cup of pellets per day

or an ounce of pellets for every pound of body weight.

It's been statedthat if they finish the bowl before the endof the day, not to refill it before the nextday.Feeding unlimited amounts can lead to obesityand serious health problems resulting from the high calcium andcarbohydrate, and low fiber content in pelleted foods.(Humane Society)

Some rabbits have more control over not overeating than others.

Timothy hay can't be overfed.

-Carolyn

The general rule is 1 ounce of pellets per poundof rabbit, to keep them at the proper weight. For polishwhose top weight is 3 1/2 lbs I feed one third of a cup, for mini-rexwhose top weight is 4 1/2 lbs, I feed 1/2 cup. Just weighyour bun and find out what the correct weight for the breed should beand feed accordingly. Many buns only eat what they need andstay at the correct weight themselves, while others are pigs and willeat as much as you give them and get over weight. You canfeed them oats, quaker old fashioned or any store brand of oldfashioned is fine. Oats will put on flesh, but not fat, so isfine for them to eat. Donna

Carolyn,

Thanks for the information! I was just thinking the other day about howmuch I should be feeding them, whether I should feed more or lesspellets. Then I saw this post and it actually amazed me to see that Ihave been feeding them the right amount of pellets all along.

Anyone else have a picky bunny? I used to put the hay right on the cagefloor because I didn't have hay racks. Bad bunny mom I know, but I wasalways careful to make sure they didn't go to the bathroom on it andthat it was changed daily. Yesterday I put Mocha's hay into a containerto keep it off the ground, and he's started to eat way more hay. Is itnormal for bunnies to like eating out of one spot better than another?Like out of a container instead of off the floor?

Laura, Mocha, & Spice

P.S.- I gave Mocha and Spice both oats in their food thismorning as a special treat. I put Mocha's in and was going to pick itup and move it farther away from the water bottle because Mocha alwaysget's water in the dish when he drinks from the bottle above a dishfull of pellets, and he attacked my hand! :shock:I think hethought I was goin to steal his food or something, lol.

I am reducing her food in half for now and willtry and weigh her again. last time she was 7 lbs. That was before itook away the other kind of grass and started her on timothy hay. Justgot to find the battery. got a son who likes to take batteries out ofstuff.

Cristy

Latest posts

Back