Outside in winter okay?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mnyablonski2796

Reaction score
I am moving in a week or two and my new landlord is saying any animals other than fish, cats, or dogs need to be kept in the garage. I live the in Midwest so we have cold winters and hot summers. I have rats and due to this I am most likely having to get rid of them but I feel like something is missing without a small animal in my life. (my rats are my world and spoiled like no other). I was wondering if rabbits would be okay living in the garage? I have a huge garage and can build a giant cage. They could still hop around the house (once the dog was put away) for free time. But is it to cold in winter and to hot in summer for them??

Is there a reason you can't keep your rats in the garage? I don't understand why you would have to give them up but then putting a different animal in the garage is ok? Rabbits suffer mostly in the heat and a garage that gets hot in summer could very likely be too hot for them. This is in addition to the fact that keeping them in a garage is only suitable if there is no vehicle kept in the garage. You don't want fumes or oils etc anywhere near pets so it's only doable if you won't be keeping a car in there.

If that's the case, and it's going to get too hot, you'll need an air conditioner in there, or at least a fan. Rabbits cope pretty well with the cold if they have some fleece blankets or hay to snuggle up in.

Rats have very sensitive respiratory systems so just opening the garage door the draft can cause them to get very sick. They can't handle cold under about 60 degree and heat over about 80 degrees. I love my rats but they wouldn't be able to handle the winter or even really windy days. My landlord is also more keen on the idea of a rabbit and is considering allowing one in the house, but the rats scare her and shes afraid they will get out.

I'd see if she wouldn't be open to letting you have a rabbit in the house. If you do go this route, then absolutely get an already fixed rabbit from a rescue since these rabbits are usually already litter trained and are also not hormonal. If keeping indoors is questionable, the last thing you'd want is for your landlord to see a young hormonal rabbit making a mess of the place. (They may chew excessively and destructively and even spray urine.)

Check the 2015 or 2016 Cages You've Made thread here on RO to get ideas for proper indoor housing. Your landlord may just need some gentle education to see that rabbits can make great indoor pets.

For more info on housing a rabbit indoors, feel free to check my website. Some photos on there might be of aid in convincing your landlord. http://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com

okay... answer me this.. .if a wild rat can with stand temperatures..why wouldn't a tame one? they are basically the same creature. My son raises mice and they do extremely well outside 24/7/365 .. rats aren't that whole lot different, just bigger and therefore should be sturdier. We had outdoor rats for a while as well (before they found new homes). Great creatures they are. They also did well outside. To protect animals from drafts requires boxes, carefully placed draft guards and such like. :) But frankly if the landlord is nervous of them.. best to err on the side of caution.

Rabbits will do just fine in a garage. They will do great out there in the winter (just don't be warming up your car in it) and the shade will keep them cool in the summer (as will the concrete floor).

I'll have to just post an oblique comment here. My Bunny lived for 11 years as a 24/7 uncaged house rabbit in our house. Her room was our bedroom, which she determined was her room. There was some initial chewing damage. We now have two rambuncious Flemmish babies living in the house...uncaged. More of a challenge...chewing is more of an issue.

Just my opinion...it's just my opinion...is that bunnies should live in your house with you. Our bunnies are just loose all day long, every day. I think a reasonable thing is that some people herd their house bunnies into a pen when it's time to go to beddy-by or when they are going to leave the bunnies by themselves at home.

My comment about putting bunnies in cages outside the house or in the garage...Bunnies are really social animals. Although they don't like to be picked up or held in your laps, they nevertheless like you to be near them. I've noticed, that in all things equal, my bunnies prefer to eat when me or my wife are present. Our previous rabbit, Bunny, just loved to sleep in the bedroom with us. Once again, from my experience with three bunnies, I'd say they like you to be near them..they don't need you to pick them up...they just like you to be near.. It makes them feel safe to be near. So I think it would distress a bunny to be left in a cage by itself in a remote location. Just my opinion once again. That's why we let out bunnies share our house 24/7.

Last edited:
Rabbits should also be kept out of the wind, and generally 86 fahrenheit is considered the temperature that they need to be brought in to a cooler temperature. Are you going to be able to bring them inside if the temperature gets that warm?

I'm not sure where in the midwest you are moving, so this may not apply to you... but I live in Kansas. In the summer time, my garage gets kinda hot. If I go out there to look for something, I'm sweating in a few mins. I don't know an actual number for how hot it gets in there, but I don't think I would trust a garage around here for any kind of animal.

I keep trying to see if the landlord would allow the bunny inside 24/7 instead. Good luck!

Back