Outside buns

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snap

Reaction score
So I have two outside rabbits, Popcorn and Butters((12-13 pound New Zealand Whites)).

I know buns can survive pretty cold temperatures, but BOTH of them were shivering Friday night when it was about 15 degrees so I put them in the garage. And yes, they were shivering, I froze my butt off making sure. Since then it's dropped down to about 10 degrees very night, and will for a couple more nights supposedly.

I gave them bundles of hay, at least a 50 lb. calf feed bag each and have tried to secure the plastic on the sides to keep wind out, so I don't know how they're so cold still.

I've brought them into the garage for a few nights but because I've gotten more rabbits, there's no more room for a cage...so they stay in their carriers. I feel awful about this, and I built their new cage((rather badly)) specifically because I wanted them to have more room.

Now to the point, what can I do to keep them warm? I ran out of hay, though their cages have a layer of it and their carriers are stuffed(and they hate hiding in them anyway).

Rabbits handle the cold better than they do the heat, so they should be fine, especially if you're providing them with lots of hay, and have plastic on the sides.

They will need to eat a lot because they burn off calories in order to keep warm. ;) You could upp their pellets to the amount that they will still clean the dish.

Emily

:yeahthat: mine refuse to sleep in their hutch preferring instead a large cardboard box:p ive lined the box with fleeces and towels. extra hay has been provided but roxy pushed it out of the box in temper. sometimes i wonder why when i come down in the morning to see them lounging on the one patch of bare concrete by the door:p

their water bottle hasnt froze - i roll it into a tea cozy. :)

Just because a rabbit can survive through the cold, doesn't meant that they HAVE to. I'd never leave a rabbit literally shivering outside in the cold just because they can survive it.

Can you make room inside of the garage for them somehow? If so, I'd just buy wire bottomed cages from KW Cages (or something) or large dog kennels and stack them for cases like this.

bumpity bump for more ideas :)

Stuff their sleeping compartment or a cardboard box with straw. Straw has better insulating properties than hay since it is hollow and traps more air (same way a down duvet works). That should give them a nice warm place to cuddle if they are cold.

Make sure there are no drafts either. You can wrap the hutch in a blanket and just leave a little gap for air flow at one side so they don't suffocate.

-Dawn

I was lent some more hay by a friend, and made some arrangements so I could get a heat lamp out for them that I made a little box around with wire mesh so they couldn't get at it((the cage is three foot tall & one level so there's no way they can get close anyway, but it was a pretty creative set up anyway)).

So I covered the entire bottom of both cages with about an inch of hay save for their potty corners and they were quite happy.

It's not supposed to get below freezing again anytime soon, so they'll be good for now but thanks to everyone SOO much for the suggestions! I did follow most of them at least a little and I'm sure the bunnies appreciate your concerns. :)

Latest posts

Back