Outside Bunnies: My Questions - bedding, litterbox, etc.,

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bo B Bunny

Reaction score
Ok, since straw is something being discussed regarding teeth issues... I got to thinking that a lot of people use straw for bedding outside bunnies in the winter... and for mama bunnies to build a nest.... DO they eat it when they have it? Or just chew it like they do grass mats and stuff? Is it good on their gut or does too much bother them like paper and cardboard?

I'm interested in this issue because I am going to be making Tony an outside bunny come spring. We aren't sure he will ever winter outside completely because I'd prefer he was always inside! but he needs to adjust to the heat in the summer. So anyhow...... I plan to use straw for him as bedding ....

Those who have outside bunnies - do you use litterboxes? and do you give them bedding in the heat of the summer? or just leave them with a frozen bottle and shade?

I have no clue on the best situations for outside bunnies since I've never had one.

Most of my buns are outside, but obviously the weather in the UK will differ pretty dramatically from some places in the UK, so I'm not sure how useful this will be.

~I never give mine straw. I discovered that yes mine eat it, and as a result of that it gives them diarrhoea, so I just steer well clear of it. I always use hay. We've just started buying bales and that works great, just throw a wad in and they snuggle in it.

~All mine have litter boxes, some even have two or three. It's harder to train outside, in my opinion, but I just generally did the same thing as my inside buns and they all were mostly pretty proficient in using them (until I've started having to clean them as I am doing at the moment, etc). I used to use newspaper and hay, but now I use litter.

~I line all my hutches with newspaper, the amount varies depending on the bunny and how reliable they are with the litter box. It makes changing really easy. In the summer I give them hay still (just on the floor, I don't use hay racks) but less of it, and make sure that whilst there is lots of hay about, there is also lots of newspapered area for them to lie on if they wish.

~In the summer I give them frozen water bottles if they use them, but only one of mine does, the others never got the hang of it. I tend to use ltos of shade and a fan if necessary. If the shade goes up before the sun gets on them then it works even better.

~In the winter I use loads of bedding, and I also have plastics that come down and cover the front of the hutch so that it stops the wind/rain/anything getting in when they are dropped. I use these on colder nights over the summer to drop down too. We also adapt any htuch we get so that it has roofing on the roof, but also all around the sides because otherwise the hutches tend to get damp, or let wind in, and this is the way we've best found to protect them. I also, if they fit with the particular bunnies arrangement, will put in something for them tosnuggle in in the day area, most commonly a dome, in the winter, but some bunnies prefer boxes.

~It can be hard with outside rabbits, in either extreme, because you have to constantly check for things like fly strike and any other problems/injuries/issues, and make sure they are kept super clean.

~Also, each hutch has to be thoroughly predator proof (as I'm sure you know), here that is not very much, I don't know what it is where you are and what you fet, but strong mesh attached firmly, small holes so that no wandering paws can get in (or not little mice, ok, not a predator, but it carries illness), things like that.

Hope that helps a tad :)

Yes, it does... something I hadn't thought of was the wind blowing and bringing things INTO the hutch like rain or snow.

I really don't like putting him outside but everyone suggests I do since we get so warm here and he'll be at our fair. The only bunnies who get ill or have died at our county fair were house bunnies. So I thought Spring would be a good time to let him gradually get used to the gradual rise in temps here.

We are going to build his hutch ourselves. I am going to buy shingles for it.

You mention plastics that cover the sides - is it like plastic cloth or plexiglass or something? I know someone who put plexiglass in their screened porch during winter. They just used wingnuts to hold it in place. That's something I've been trying to think about - I might do that too.

We use the solid stuff for on top of runs so that they don't get wet if it rains, but for the fronts of hutches we use flexible stuff so that it can be rolled down, or up, or looped over to accommodate whatever weather.

DSCF2601.jpg

Like that. It has a strip of wood at the end which it is wound around, and the other end is attached to the top of the hutch. Where it hangs down we have clips so that if it's windy it doesn't blow about and will stay in place.

If you're not keen on having him outside totally you could always let him out during the day, ensuring that he has the obvious weather and predatory protection stuff, and bring him in at night, just to sleep.

I think the winter would be too extreme to bring him in and out. It gets REAL cold here sometimes.

I love your setup! That's like - wonderful! Great way to put the plastic tarp on! I like the idea of the wood to hold it down. We might be able to adapt something like this for the sheep too!

You're very right about it being too harsh in the winter. I meant in the summer when you would be considering having him out. Having him in and out would allow him to tolerate the hotter weather, but also keep you in peace of mind at night. Good pick up, lol.

Enjoy adapting it for the sheep, I can't imagine what you're going to do with it, lol, but have fun :)

Our sheep are in a stand alone stall with a big kennel run for them to get out and play. It gets so cold sometimes that I worry - why? I dont' know cause sheep have wool! Anyhow, I think to block the wind we could affix the plastic as you have and then it can be raised and lowered instead of like.... off and on.

Summer heat would be as bad I think on Tony. We've been 90° here and now it's going around 60 in the same week! We almost lost a lamb in transport during State Fair this year.

Aw, poor little lamby.

Good luck with whateveryou do decide to do with him, I know you'll do the very best by him :) Weather can be a total pain, but hopefully you can find a good way to house him to keep you all happy :)

Let us see the finished article!

Bo B Bunny wrote:
Ok, since straw is something being discussed regarding teeth issues... I got to thinking that a lot of people use straw for bedding outside bunnies in the winter... and for mama bunnies to build a nest.... DO they eat it when they have it? Or just chew it like they do grass mats and stuff? Is it good on their gut or does too much bother them like paper and cardboard? I use straw in the winter as I find it a bit snuggier and more insulating, however I still use hay as bedding as well to line the straw bed. It means that they have the best of both worlds - straw for insulation and hay for eating.

Those who have outside bunnies - do you use litterboxes? and do you give them bedding in the heat of the summer? or just leave them with a frozen bottle and shade? Yep - litter boxes all the way. To me it doesn't matter if your bun is indoor or out, their hutch is still their home so it's important that it stays nice and clean.:) I use a cat sized litter box, lined with litter and covered with a big pile of hay to munch on while they do their business.;)

I still give bedding in the summer, as its important that they have something soft to lie on, however I give less as they don't need to stay warm. I also make sure the buns are always in the shadiest, coolest part of the garden, with plenty of cool things to lie up against.:)

I use straw in Macey's cage, and I noticed she does chew and eat a little bit of it, like a couple pieces then is done with it, but she doesn't go eating it like she does hay or other foods. I haven't noticed anything wrong with her, like diarrhoea or anything. :)

Macey uses a litterbox perfectly. And I do give her bedding in the summer, not as much, but when she's hot and wants to lay in it, she will digthe bedding to the side of the litterbox where she emptys herselfand lays in it like that on the opposite side.

My rabbits are in a barn, so rain and show are not an issue, but in very cold weather, Igive them a good layer of straw bedding. I find the straw stays drier than hay underfoot. They still get hay to eat. I have a few that use a litterbox outside. At least they keep their cages cleaner!!

I can honestly say, I have never lost a rabbit to cold weather. (Can't say the same about the heat during the summer.) We have had babies born at -4 degrees F (I do use nest box heaters, but they only keep the temperature around 45 degrees.) My rabbits seem to enjoy the cold weather (especially the Flemish).

I don't do bedding during the summer. Keeps the cages cleaner and cooler. Yes, I use frozen water bottles if necessary, but cool ceramic tiles work good too. I keep a stack of 14" x 14" ceramic floor tiles (bought at a big discount... who cares what color they are!) and put them in all the cages during the summer. They love them!

My girlsfriend, who keeps her two bunnies in outdoor hutches freezes bricks and gives them a cold brick to lay against during the summer.

My plan is to put Tony out in the spring so he can get aclimated to the weather as it changes.... then in the fall before it gets real cold I will bring him inside and keep him until Spring again. Not the ideal way (opposite would be best) but Every time a bunny dies at county or state fair - it's been a bunny that lives inside and they bring it out for the fair and it's just too hot.

Latest posts

Back