Outdoor Shed

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peapoo_bunny

Reaction score
does anybody keep their bunnies in an outdoorshed type thing? peapoo and petey being in my room is just not workingout, and im looking into some other options... like an outdoor shed w/air & maybe heat if needed.. if they were outside they woulddefinately have to have air or something because petey just can'thandle the heat..he is miserable outside in theheat.. so....for those of you who keep your bunniesoutside in a shed (or something like that) could you please post apicture and give me some info on them... ive been looking on theinternet for about an hour and still havent found anything i really like

Check out UK sites. It's very commonto keep bunnies in sheds there. You can even attach a run tothem and either use a door or let them have access 24/7.

Currently my rabbits are in a hutch howeverthinking back I really wish I'd known about sheds! You can do so muchmore with them than with a hutch, they are more secure, more roomy, youcan make the insides into bunny playgrounds and runs can be attached(and placed into concrete) so your rabbits can have permanent access tothem. Like naturestee said there are some uk websites and forums aroundthat have members with brilliant outdoor housing! Have a look aroundthe web for them.;)

Also check out these websites:D

http://www.thebunnyshed.co.uk

http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/care/hutch.asp

well..that is the exact opposite of what iveheard...the people on the chatroom basically told me that it wasterrible to keep them in a shed:dunno... even after i told them itwould have heat& air (and fans,ice bottles etc for petey:D)...they said to much could go wrong....and theypretty much saidthat i would forget about my bunnies andquit spending timewith them:angryrant...yeah :whateverlike that wouldhappen...they highly disapproved..of course that is a houserabbit society

chatroom:eek:hwell...dont get me wrong, the house rabbit society isgreat.. they just dont approve of outside bunnies..even if the bunniesare taken really good care of and spoiled:disgust:...

so you guys think its ok? (im still not sure what we're doing..i just want somemore opinion on it before we decide:))

Somepeople do think that outdoorrabbits don't live good lives but believe me that's nottrue!Many outdoor rabbitslive great lives, just asindoor rabbits can. I don't believe that just because your rabbit livesindoors means it has a good life, just as just because your rabbitslives outside it has a bad life:rollseyes:,it all depends onthe owner! I'm sure your buns would love to live outdoors in a big shedand run, and I'm sure they'd get loads of excercisetoo!:DBelieve me I've seen suchbrilliant outdoorshed ideas, and on another forum I go tooquite a fewpeoplehaveactually moved their house rabbitsoutdoors into sheds because they're so good!;) If you needany help finding any sites or anything feel free to pm me, with mygirls living outside I've found quite a few good sites out there withgood advice and housing ideas!:)

and of course they could still come inside toplay sometimes:D.. its just hard having their cage and other stuffinside because of the space in that room

oh yeah.. the shed that we looked at wasmetal... there was also a wood one, but it was smaller... do you thinkthe metal would make it to hot for them even with air? it would be inthe sun in the morning and the afternoon.. but im pretty sure it wouldbe in the shade in the middle of the day

I don't know why a rabbit shouldn't be happyoutside :), after all it's a natural environment for them! My dad usedto tell me I was cruel for having an indoor rabbit :?, as he felt thatthe rabbit was missing out on a natural exhistance. I always let BunBunhave time outside every week, I feel it's important for him to get torun and jump and dig on the dirt and grass.

I think a shed with a run attached would be great, but not a thin tin shed perhaps as they do trap the heat.

Our rabbits live outside in hutches that havebuilt in runs. These are on the patio on paving flags. We also have afolding run without a base that we move around the lawn and they getturns in that. They are very happy out there together and we wouldnever keep rabbits inside again. Every night we cover thefront of the hutches and put the ramp to the run up so theyare safe and warm. We also make sure the doors are locked and put a fewbricks on the hutches so Mr Fox cant cause problems.

We have a wooden shed in our garden, but we keepour hay, lawnmower etc in it. It gets VERY hotin there in the summer and we even have to be careful keeping the hayin there incase it doesnt set alight or something!

Its a great idea for the winter months though. Maybe a metalshed wont get so hot in the summer? Good luck :D

All my bunnies are outdoor bunnies and they survive pretty well!

I am not sure what your climate is like, but wehave a metal shed for the lawn mower etc and it gets incredibly hot intherein summer. The metal heats up in the sun and it hurtsjust to touch it.

Metal sheds are terrible for bunnies.They heat up in no time flat. I've seen breeders who keeptheir rabbits in metal sheds but they use huge fans and aim sprinklersat the roofs.

A wooden shed with proper ventilation can be great. When myhubby was a kid, his family bred New Zealand Whites and their cageswere kept in a large shed. It was almost a minibarn. It was really warm in winter and in summer they justopened all the doors and it was pretty cool in there.

I'd say that a wood shed would be better. Maybeget a shed and build all your hutches into it, then bunny proof it soall the bunnies can just walka round in it (presuming you have bunsthat all get along?) If not maybe just divide it up. You could evenattach a run to the side of the hutch with a door to the shed orsomething so the buns could go outside when they wanted!

Attaching fans in the top corners of the shed for summer would be great!

looked at sheds today.. found a nice wooden one...expensive, but it would be worth it.... also it has a few windows i think...

yeah my bunnies get along so they could both be in there...

im still trying to work it out with them being inside.. but if itdoesnt work out the wooden shed i saw today would be my secondchoice... i think theit was something like8ftx10ft, but im not sure... think thats a good size? two small? icouldnt get out but the door to the shedwas open and itlooked pretty nice

An 8 x 10 shed sounds fantastic! I bet they'dlove it!:DAlthough if you wanted to pay less you could buy asmallershed and attach a run so they could have access to itvia a cat flap all the time.

Hi Bunny_rules63, Wow what a great website youposted. I showed my husband and told him if we ever havemoney LOL, I'd love to open a drop inn centre like that one forbunnies.

Those inns for the bunnies were great.

Thanks for posting it (I put it in my favorites).

Soooska:apollo:

hmm..i dont think id want a smallershed for them... the one i saw looked like a good size...and i think itwas one of the smallest they had at that store

hi,
I live in the UK but my rabbit lives in a shed and I have not had anyproblems. She has a hutch and a run in the shed but has free run of theshed at all times. I would recommend a light as then if you need to goand see them in the dark it is a bit difficult without one. It doessometimes get a bit cold in there during the winter but its dry and notwindy and Gizmo seems fine in there. Hope this helps.
Emma

My rabbits live in a shed.But its more than just its a shed - it's basically a small bunny barn.

My mom decided indoor rabbits were a no-no.. so, they kind of gotkicked out of the house. My dad is creating my bunny barn, which is atall wood base, surrounded by all wire (will be covered in winter) witha door. The rabbits will not be on the floor, and even if a dog/anotheranimal gets in, it's not going to get to a rabbit. (The floor will bestorage, then two rows of rabbit cages.) And the floor of the "barn" isabout 2 foot off the ground. So the rabbits are about4ft offthe ground, surrounded by wire.

As I said, my dad is in the process of making it. So right now, myrabbits are at my grandfather's (who is my rabbit mentor He used tobreed and show- and judge at county fairs and such - Dutch.)They are in a shed which is more like a building. It's completelyenclosed, it was originally a pool "house" but nowits arabbit pen. They are fine outside, although in the heat we have fans onthem and such (heat will kill a rabbit faster than cold).

This is my in-the-process-of-being-built "barn" in my dad's shop.

measurements2.jpg

You can see, bottom = storage, then cage one, cage two, yeah.. :)

Latest posts

Back