Outdoor activities

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uhari

Reaction score
Hello, my rabbit’s birthday is coming up soon and I’ve been planning on taking her outside to stretch her legs. My rabbit lived her entire life indoors and I thought it would be a novel experience for her to be outside for a change. However we live in the city and I’m not very familiar with the area and the only time she’s been taken out is for vet visits. Do any of you whom live in Chicago know places that are safe for rabbit activities/hangout? I’m primarily hoping for a day out with her in a playpen and leash. If any of you have suggestions I’d be grateful.

If she's never been outside, it could end up being a terrifying experience for her. If you are able to find a park with a grassy area, how will you know if the grass has been sprayed with fertilizer or pesticides or weed control? You don't want her eating any of that.

Both a pen and a leash could be dangerous in a new and strange place. If there is a sudden noise or movement (dog, cat, person, car...) it could cause her to bolt. If she's leashed, that could cause spinal injury. If she's in a pen, she may bash into the pen wall. Even passing shadows from birds overhead could potentially frighten her.

An alternative could be something closer to home. If you have a little patio or balcony or porch, you could set up an x-pen there. Just be sure you are always out there with her. It only takes a moment for a bird of prey to swoop down (or a cat to pounce).

Latest posts

Back