Out of the blue runny poo? Help

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunny Mum

Reaction score
Please help our rabbit has very runny poo but has not had any change in diet at all.

He doesnt seem tobe unwell, what should I be looking out for.

Thanks Trish

Can you tell if it's mushy cecal pellets or true runny fecal pellets?

Has he been out on the grass at all?

I would push the hay and maybe take away any grass, veggies and pellets for a couple days. Give him a big pile of hay to eat and that should help his stomached settle.

Make sure he's staying hydrated as runny poops can dehydrate a bun pretty quick. You can give him some pedialyte.

--Dawn

Thanks Dawn was just discussing this with my husband.

Poop is runny and making a terrible mess ofDory and his litter box. Anotherdilemma how do I go about bathing him so that he is clean?

He has had milk thistle in last few days and he hasnt had this for months (not sure what you call it in other parts of the world) Its never reacted with him before but we will stop giving it to him and up his hay. He only has pellets(basic with no treats in it been eating same one for years) and good quality hay. We dont feed much greens as this usually causes runny poop.

I said he wasnt unwell but today he has been quiet, we did wonder if he had eaten any chocolate from one of the kids easter eggs which may have dropped on the floor. How would a bunny react to that, also have been spraying alot of surface spray around the house lately as we have been overwhelmed by ants lately.

I just hope it is an upset stomach and nothing more serious.

You can use corn starch to give a dry butt bath. Rub cornstarch into the soiled area, allow it to dry and brush it out. Or use a wet cloth to try to clean him up.

If it's really bad and the other methods don't work, you can do a wet butt bath. Just get his back end wet and keep as much of him dry as possible while you wash.

I would give him some pedialyte to help keep him hydrated. If the runny poo continues with out a cause tomorrow, I would take him to a vet.

Take a look through the information in the health section on diarrhea for some possible causes:
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=11935&forum_id=10

--Dawn

Could be any number of causes. At this time of year, viruses are often to blame. Rotavirus can cause short term pasty/runny droppings. Rabbits may continue to eat and show no signs of illness.

If it doesn't clear up within a couple days or the rabbit begins to show other symptons, a trip to the vet is advised.

Pam

Thanks guys for your feedback your fabulous. When your buns are sick you can start getting real paranoid about everything that couldve possibly caused your bun distress.

Dory is well again and has totally cleaned himself upwithout me giving him the stress of a butt bath,no vet visit needed must of been something he ate but is binkying around the lounge room as we speak.

Bless:inlove:

That's really good to hear. I hope he stays healthy :D

Do you have any idea what might have done it? Such as eating something he shouldn't? An additional stress or something? I only ask because if you know then its easier to be aware of it, and know what to do, if it happens again.

Thanks Flashy i enjoy your input on this forum.

I reckon it may have been a miniscule amount of chocolate dropped from one of the kids easter eggs,do you think it could have been it,i did read in another post that chocolate was toxic to rabbits?

The only stressful instance that I can think of is he is now going outside again in his pen after losing all his siblings and parents to myxo a while back. Only during the day but that may have thrown hima bit. Different environment, different smells.

The chocolate could have done it, because yes, it is toxic. The grass outside, if he is on grass, might also have done it if he is not used to it.

I wouldn't think he would be too stressed by that because he has probably got used to being an only bunny and spoilt rotten.

Hopefully this is a just a random blip that won't happen again. :)

Latest posts

Back