Our new bunny was neglected by past owners. HELP!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homesick742

Reaction score
We just got a rabbit yesterday. On the phone thelady sounded like she took great care of him. It seems as though theydidn't. His nails are really long, they don't know if it's a male orfemale so I'm assuming no vet care, they only had a cage bottom. Idon't know where to begin. We want to litter train him and have put alittle corner thing in there but he goes all over his cage. Which Iknow is what he is used too. We put about 3/4 plywood in there and hegoes on that.

How do I begin litter training? I just keep picking up the poo. I put alittle in the litter but he seems to use that to hover in the cornerinstead of the bathroom. He's also never had any bedding. We're usingaspen, but he seems to just push it out to the sides.

I'm not sure he's had much to chew on either. I put in part of a papertowel roll and he does throw it, but doesn't chew it. He's also onlyhad rabbit pellets and iceburg lettuce. Let me tell you he loved thetimothy hay we put in last night!!

Anyway, HELP! I've never owned a rabbit before. Where do I begin?Especially with the bathroom thing. I am so glad we are providing him agood home. (we spoil our pets!) I just don't know where to begin.

You've come to the right place!

I would start by reading through the "sticky" sections here for Rabbit101. There's LOTS of good reading there.

None of my rabbits liked bedding, so as soon as they were litter trained, I removed it.

Keep putting his droppings in the litter pan and when you wipe up hispee, put the soaked tissue in the box, too. He should startgetting the idea soon.

Welcome and good luck!

Welcome to the forum!! :)

I completely agree with Snuggly's Mom...

Good for you for taking in this lovely boy! Things will come together, don't worry.

Any idea if he's neutered or not? If not, getting himneutered will help things out, too. If he is, it just takestime. :)

My Flower was in much the same state when I found her. Myneighbors had put her outside in her "cage" (only about six inches talland wide and about a foot long), which had a bottom full of urine,feces, and iceburg lettuce, but no food or water at all other than thelettuce they'd given her at one time. They were cleaningtheir house, and I guess didn't like how badly her cage WREAKED, sothey put her outside (instead of cleaning her cage, ofcourse). By the time we found her, she'd been attractingflies (though nothing became of that, thank goodness), had urinescalding on her hind legs, and was malnourished enough that the lady Ihad check her out said she wouldn't have lasted another week,especially because she was just six weeks old.

Needless to say, I NEVER thought she would be litter-trained, but I putthose litterboxes in her cage anyway! And sure enough, Ididn't have to teach her. She automatically started using theboxes within about a week! I think they prefer to use them,personally. I know at least in her case, she sure didn't wanta pee-filled floor again! Poor baby! :(

Check out this thread in the Rabbit 101 section about LitterTraining. I'm sure you'll find some gems of information inthere. :)
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12213&forum_id=17

Also, a good way to cut down on the ammonia smell in his urine (if younotice it much) is to put 1cc of vanilla extract (natural or imitation,doesn't matter) to 36oz of his water. It's also great topromote drinking.

Here's a good thread on toys: http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12433&forum_id=17

He might enjoy it if you bought some sisel rope, took that paper towelroll, cut it in eight pieces (like cut it in half, then half again,until you have eight), put two holes in each piece, threaded some siselthrough, and then tied them on his cage so that he can bat them aroundor chew up the sisel. I just did this for Flower, and she'shad fun having the activity of biting the pieces of cardboard off, andchewing up the sisel.

I also take a cardboard box (doesn't have to be huge, just a bit biggerthan your bun), put a small stack of newspaper in it, and some crumpledup newspaper balls (a few with a raisin in the middle, though you maywant to wait until his digestive system is functioning smoother afterthat lack of hay...just a couple weeks should be fine) and throw themin. He'll have a time shredding the newspaper, and throwingthe balls around!

I had the hardest time finding our Maisie toys that she would playwith, and then discovered that she was playing, just not in the way Ithought was "play", like sometimes I move her things to another levelin her cage, and she loves having the project of moving it allback. I used to think it bugged her having her things moved,but she really likes having projects like that. She alsoloves having a newspaper shreddy-based floor, so every couple weeksI'll sweep out all the current shreddies, and give her a new stack ofnewspaper, and she'll work for about two days straight restoring theshreddies on her floor. She has such a time at it!And the good thing is that newspaper is made nowadays with vegetabledye, so you don't have to worry about it poisoning them, or anything.

Both my buns also enjoy shredding cardboard boxes, and I give themdrink holders from fast food places (that don't have any writing onthem) and such, too. We even bought a new hard drive theother day, and it came with a couple cardboard fitted pieces (kind oflike you find some drink holders are, that soft, almost paper mechetype material), so I gave one to each bun. They love eatingthem, and it's good for them, too!

For chewing, you can get him some apple branches (try calling around tolocal bunny shelters to see if they know of a good place to getthem). My buns LOVE chewing off all the bark (though theyleave the rest), and it's good for their teeth. :)The cardboard will also help with tooth health, and if you get him afew grass mats, that'll help as well.

Those are just a few ideas. :)

I think it's wonderful that you found it in your heart to rescue thissweet boy. In my eyes, that's exactly what you did,too...rescued him. He needed a more loving, attentive home.

If you need ANYTHING, tips on building a cage for cheap, ideas on toys, etc. let us know, ok? We're here for ya!

Welcome to the Rabbits Only family, Hun! We're happy to have a gem of a person like you here! :)

Rosie*

I just thought of another important thing that will promote his using the litterbox! :)

If you put either a layer of hay on top of the litter in his box and/orput his hayrack right next to the litterbox, it will promote his usingthe box. Bunnies love to eat and poop/pee at the same time(weird, I know), so this will be a big step in helping him learn whereto "go". I'd totally forgotten that this is the thing I didin Flower's case to promote litterbox using. Don't worry, hewon't eat soiled-on hay. :)

Keep us updated on how he's doing, ok? :)

Many hugs to you both! :)

One more pointer for you!

Vinegar is your friend, your very bestest best friend in the whole wide world!

Use it to clean up all pee spots, it gets rid of all traces of theodour so the bunny can't smell where he pee'd anymore. If thebunny can smell pee on the floor, he'll keep going on thefloor. I use a spray bottle with a 50/50 mixture of vinegarand water to mist down an accident spot after I've wiped it up.

I will take a piece of paper towell, soak up the urin (put the urinsoaked paper towell in the litter box), and then clean the spot withvinegar. That way the only spot that smells like pee is thelitter box.

I also arrange the cage so that food/water/hay is only accessable fromthe litter boxes. Rabbits like to have both ends going at thesame time. This helps to contain most poops to the litter box.

With all other stay poops, I just pick them up and put them in the litter box.

Some bunnies take longer than others to litter train, but they arenaturally clean creatures, and I've had 100% success litter trainingall my foster babies.

--Dawn

Thank you guys so much for the great replies! Wetook him out for some exercise and he kept doing this cute little hop.Like he was saying, "Woo Hoo! Freedom!" It was so cute. He actuallydoesn't pee on his board that we put in. He will pee where the cagepart is which is good. It's just the poo. We'll keep working on it!

Congrats on your bunny! I've adoptedtwo from a similar situation. They're so cute when theyrealize they get some freedom for once, aren't they? Justwait until he learns about toys!

I've found having multiple litterboxes can help. Also, makesure the corner litterbox is large enough to be comfortable forhim. The small size is too small for my 3.5 lb dwarf hotot tobe comfortable in, and she's a small bunny. The two 2 lbgirls are fine with it, but they're teeny little things.

Hay in or above the litterboxes has been my saving grace. Feyand Sprite had never seen litterboxes before but did pretty wellbecause the boxes were in their potty corner and they had to jump in toget their hay. Bunnies like to eat and poop at the sametime.;)

I don't use bedding either. Nobunny seems to like itmuch. They do like grass mats though, and if he gets prettyclean and doesn't chew fabric you can give him flat dish towels to lieon. You have to be careful with fabric though because manybunnies eat it and it could cause a blockage.

We ended up getting him a grass mat because ourpet store is really small and didn't have the faux sheep skin. He seemsto like it. I think he is starting to trust us a little!:bunnydance:

Hehe! Yeah, don't know HOW I forgot about the vinegar!!

I have a spray bottle that I clean their litterboxes (and Flower'shayrack) with when I clean them out to put in clean litter.I've filled it with half-white vinegar and half-water. WorksWONDERS!! And for tough stains/spots, I use just the vinegar,undiluted. The best thing about it is that the smelldissapates rather quickly! :)

aurora369 wrote:
Vinegar is your friend, your very bestest best friend in the whole wide world!

Latest posts

Back