Our new bunnies – Rex and Ruby blog

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi LakeCondo, we took them to the vet today and started them with pellets slowly, they both are weak and skinny.

We have a clarification with regard to Pellets..which one to buy..most of the blogs asks us to get plain pellets, but the market is full of pellets mixed with nuts nd stuff like that ! We are not sure, so we picked up small quantity of plain pellets from a Birds pet shop...the one they use it for camels and goats !! We just fed them one or two tats all...Are these stuff safe or should we get a branded one!! Pls adv.

The pellets here are made specifically for rabbits & alfalfa hay pellets for them until they are full grown, so I'm hoping what you can get should be all right. They should be without nuts. Can you ask wherever you got the bunnies from where they get their pellets? You might have to use the same thing & add the nutrients that is in alfalfa hay that is not in grass pellets. If you can't find alfalfa pellets, can you find alfalfa hay? If so, feed non-alfalfa pellets, and mix the hay so it's 3/4 grass & 1/4 alfalfa. Clover hay is the only other kind of hay I know of that has as much calcium as alfalfa does. Both alfalfa & clover are legumes, so any other hay made from legumes should work ok if it's an edible plant.

If the only bun food you can get has corn etc in it you may have to sort that stuff out. I feed my rabbits pellets with 16-18% protiien.

My rabbits know their names, rabbits are smart animals. If I call my bun Daisy she will turn around and the other buns just go about their business.

I have some rabbits that will chew on their hay a little throughout the day and some that nibble on it constantly. The hay is not only nutritional, but also helps to wear down their teeth.

Latest posts

Back