Our first bunny, a rescue

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ded

Reaction score
After reading about the bunny hoarding case in Virginia Beach, we decided to go to the VB Shelter and get a rescue bunny. He was already named Cuddles, and our youngest liked the name so we kept it. I built him a NIC cage, still need to add the top level, but he likes it so far. Still doing lots of research on what's best for him. He's adjusted well and is very friendly. We haven't tried to hold him yet, just letting him do his thing, but we can pet him and he'll take treats from our hands. Looking forward to learning lots about how to take care of our new bunny.

100_1663.jpg

Congratulations for giving a rescued bunny a permanent home.

What a sweetie. Sounds like you are starting out on the right foot. Take your time with him. Gaining his trust is the best way to go. I know how much you want to embrace him but you are so right on giving him space and time to adjust to you and yours.

You can find a lot of good information in the RO Library. Or just ask. People here are awesome and will help anyone with a bunny question or concern.

Again, congratulations on bringing this rescue bunny into your life.

K:)

Thanks Karen! I'm on a lot of automotive forums, so a bunny forum seemed like an easy way to get more info. We're definitely going to let him set the pace and take it slow. He's very adventurous and loves exploring the room when we let him out for playtime. He showed us his jumping ability last night when he decided he wanted to check out our son's bed and just hopped right up. :)

Hi Dave!!! Im from Hampton. I posted a couple days ago about that hoarding case. I told everyone if I couldve adopted one of them I would. How did the bunnies seem? Stressed? Im so glad you adopted one of them! Kudos to you

audrinasmommy88 wrote:
Hi Dave!!! Im from Hampton. I posted a couple days ago about that hoarding case. I told everyone if I couldve adopted one of them I would. How did the bunnies seem? Stressed? Im so glad you adopted one of them! Kudos to you
Hi Rachel, thanks for the welcome. The hoarding bunnies are a little skittish, definitely not entirely used to people, but they seemed in good health and with time will probably make good companions. Ours isn't from the hoarding case, we were intending on getting one of those, but the only two they had ready for adoption at the time had pink eyes and our son didn't want pink eyes, guess it creeps him out lol But they were beautiful, all white with black noses/ears/feet/tails. They said they have a lot of females who are either already pregnant or who they're waiting to see if they're pregnant. All of the newborns will be going to rescues.

We might go back and get one of the bunnies from the hoarding case, gonna see how things go with Cuddles first, since we're new to rabbits.

Oh ok. Definitely dont want to freak your son out haha. Im glad to know that they are doing ok though. I was worried the stress of moving them and putting them somewhere new would really hurt them.

Dave, welcome to RO! Congratulations on Cuddles, it's wonderful you decided to adopt. I think rescue buns can need a little more time, but they are so greatful once you earn their trust.

Once cuddles settles in if you decide to get another, I highly recommend speed dating. Cuddles would need to be fixed if not already. Then you put the potential buns in together one at a time and see who Cuddles likes. I see it as marying for love rather than an arranged marriage. It makes bonding SO much easier!

Best of luck :)

audrinasmommy88 wrote:
Oh ok. Definitely dont want to freak your son out haha. Im glad to know that they are doing ok though. I was worried the stress of moving them and putting them somewhere new would really hurt them.
They said the hoarding bunnies would take more time and special handling, but they expect them all to be fine, which is good. Guess sometimes you can have too much of a good thing.

MiniLopHop wrote:
Dave, welcome to RO! Congratulations on Cuddles, it's wonderful you decided to adopt. I think rescue buns can need a little more time, but they are so greatful once you earn their trust.

Once cuddles settles in if you decide to get another, I highly recommend speed dating. Cuddles would need to be fixed if not already. Then you put the potential buns in together one at a time and see who Cuddles likes. I see it as marying for love rather than an arranged marriage. It makes bonding SO much easier!

Best of luck :)
Thanks Brandy! I like the speed dating idea. We've always done our animals in twos, I think it's good for them to have someone to spend time with when we're not here. We currently have two small dogs, and had two cats prior to that.

Latest posts

Back