our doe has just had kits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pamela

Reaction score
about 30 minutes ago our doe had her first newborns how do i look to see if they are all ok

have looked there seems to be 7 of them they're looking really cute they are all cudled together

we have taken pictures and will get them on screen as soon as possible

pam

First of all, were you expecting the kits andare they in a nest or nestbox or something? Or are they justlaying on the floor?

I usually let mama out of the cage and give her a treat and then gothrough and look at the babies. If they aren't in a nest, Iput them in the nestbox in a nest that I've made or mama has made...andI make sure they have some fur (you can pull a bit of fur off mama ifneed be...). I also like to check and see if she has nursedthem. Most of my mamas nurse immediately and then I don'thave to worry about the little ones.

I love new babies - I'm sure you'll love yours. If you'reconcerned about mama being skittish and upset about you checking outthe babies - put just a dab of vanilla on her nose before you put herback in the cage....that way, she'll smell vanilla and not you.

Good luck. Do share pictures when you can!

Peg

awww congrats!! if mom isoff the box you can take a peek in there make sure everyone is movingaround, sometimes mom will not feed right away so for thefirst day i wouldnt get to concerned. you can checkdaily, if babies bellies look round then mom is feeding themwell, if they look kinda sunken in , then they may not begetting enough to eat.

yes we were expecting them they are in a nestboxwith fur covering she does not seem bothered butshe has not gone in the nest box since they are all moving 7of them 1 smaller than the others sharepictures when we can

pam

checked them all day every 2 hoursallfine till about 9pm and we lost the smallest one of themall kids are really it was pushed to the side and cold some fur was stuck in its mouth

Back