Our Clan...now & always..

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lina and I were just talking ears. I look over and Simons picture is in front of me.
Honestly, I really miss him at times.
I don't miss being peed on, having chewed wires, fighting him to eat or a bunch of other things but I miss his mutton chops. I miss the way he would sit with you forever and just lick and love you.
He would actually clean the X boyfriends goatee.
He was a special bun.
He would of been like 7 on Christmas. :/
Ah well. He's got all the carrots & sunshine a bun could wish for now without any pain.

Here's to better days and MANY of them with Sloane :)
Without biting, and tummy trouble and being afraid of the hallway. :)

She is such a cutie. I love her eyes... let's get her through this time and get her back to 100% so you won't have to worry about getting her to take her meds!

Vanessa

Awww poor baby. Are you going to get her a replacement basket?

Vanessa

Not for a little while. That store is in Wilmington I found it for one & two, I would like to try to have a shot at her being all healthy :)
Only plastic toys are down & such. I can wash those.

Sigh. She really really hates taking that med. I'm supposed to give it for 14 days. She's never going to come near me at the end of this.

Today seems like a better day. Already poopping. Gave the romaine but no pumpkin.
She's been trying to hide under the tv stand, go behind the couch and wander all over the place.
Cleaned everything.
Washed the towels.
I put out some alfalfa hay. She ate like all of it right up.
She wouldn't eat the Bene today. She like pushed it out of her mouth. So I sorta smushed it Back it. Fun times.
She's up and running all around again. Off to the chase...

I am sure she understands that it's only for her own good.She's got such a lovely face, loved it from the first time you posted her pic , Just want to give her a big hug. Hope she improves and gets to know life without meds.

I am sure she understands that it's only for her own good.She's got such a lovely face, loved it from the first time you posted her pic , Just want to give her a big hug. Hope she improves and gets to know life without meds.

Thanks! I know right! You just wanna hug her and smush her and love her!
Her eyes look so so blue when she's on my bed. My comforter is blue so they light up all the more.
I think she'll be one of those that looks like an angel with the attitude of a devil...lol
A real little girl :)
Lol

Oh she's just so gorgeous :) Glad to hear that she's improving as well. You always know an animal is getting better when it gets harder and harder to give them their medicine :p

Not for a little while. That store is in Wilmington I found it for one & two, I would like to try to have a shot at her being all healthy :)
Only plastic toys are down & such. I can wash those.

Sigh. She really really hates taking that med. I'm supposed to give it for 14 days. She's never going to come near me at the end of this.

Sure she will! She will be so happy to see you don't have that ucky meds in your hands she will be all over you!

Vanessa

Oh so yeah its been awhile since I was here.
Sloane finished her meds to just start having issues 2 days after.
Odd poops and all. Going off her hay etc.
She really was doing so good that last week.

I ended up speaking with the owner of the vet practice we are dealing with.
Dr. Gold I believe?
Thought maybe meds. Her body had been through a lot. Growing, meds... All.

Wants the 2 week check up.
I'm getting more worried by the day to be honest.
She hates to be around me now. She actually really does.
If I sit on the floor she'll go behind me and bite my butt.
She'll follow my daughter though.
Run with her. Sit a minute with her or jump all over with her.
Lina slept in the dining room with her the other night and woke up to Sloane grooming her hair.
I woke up to Sloane biting my lips.
She'll head bump me all the time. I not sure what she wants.
I try to pet her and she'll run.

She's taken to trying to chew cords.
The table legs of anything she can.
She tries to climb into this big wicker like basket I have just to get into this white yarn rack that's tall I have.
She almost fell out of that when I was trying to get her out the other day.
I thought she hurt herself.

I did get the right NIC from kmart and returned the others to target.
Kmart made it seem like they won't have them again. I was only able to get two boxes. Online my local store said none but they had the 2 in there when I went to look.

Sloane didn't seem to care for squash or zucchini.
I am afraid to try those spring mix bags.
So many different things in them. Oak leaf this and that's. Spinach. Etc.
I'm wondering if Kale sits right with her.
Red leaf she likes.
Ever loves that pumpkin.

Back to eating at least a cube of that pumpkin a day to keep things moving.

It wasn't like this that last week on meds.

Ran out of Bene.
Went to the tractor supply store. They were out of the Probios? For Equine.
Fairly sure after checking these boards that's the one we can get from there.
I asked them to order it for me. $7.49

I think something is just not right.
Why we great that last med week.
Super poop. Super mood.
Now different poops and dumpy moods.
2 days right after meds.

I know we have to go back.
We will go back.
We will NOT be seeing Dr. Urie. Or that Dr. Williams who couldn't be bothered to call me back about re infection and disinfection.

I think she'll need more meds.
I don't want to be talked into things she doesn't need.
I want to know what's wrong with her.
They said SMZ TMP is a all way round antiB.
So what if it's not just Coccidia?
Money is ever a issue for me.

I've wanted to order from Sierra Valley. That Orchard, Oat & Timothy. But at over 50 bucks it just has to wait.
She isn't caring for the Sweet Meadow Timothy but I don't think we can Guage anything fairly truthfully.

She'll be 13 weeks old this coming Monday.
She's getting bigger.
I bought bigger litter pans.
She only pees in those pans. You know though sometime I notice on her steps in her cage pee prints?
Why would that be. Why are her feet pee wet up there. incontinence?
Is not that she's just peeing up there.

So yeah. Muddling through for a few till we can go back to the vet.
She still runs, flops and throws herself everywhere :)
When she feels like it at least.

Random thought.
I am grown woman not in menopause.
My daughter has not yet begun her courses.
I get butted, bumped and butt bit.
She likes my daughter better.
But I gave all the meds.

If she was doing good before going off the meds, and immediately things started getting worse once they were stopped, all I can think is that she was either reinfected, the coccidia didn't completely clear up, or she now has something else like a bacteria that isn't sensitive to the smz tmp. You could have another fecal test done to try and figure out what is going on exactly. Best results are from samples collected from 3 days straight. I know that there are different strains of coccidia, and some can be resistant to certain meds, so this could be a possibility as well. If the test is still showing signs of it, you could try a different med. I believe Albon is used for it. I've read that ponzuril is the best for treating coccidiosis, but is expensive, and I believe can sometimes cause lack of appetite, so syringe feeding might be necessary, but I think treatment is only for 3-5 days.

I'm sorry your poor bun is struggling so much. Coccidiosis is nasty and difficult to treat, but luckily you caught it early enough that something actually could be done. Often it is caught too late to save the bun.

The attitude could just be due to having to medicate her. Some rabbits take it very bad. You don't want her thinking that biting you is ok though. The momma bun thing usually works well, by gently but firmly pressing their head down for a few seconds. She may also be trying to communicate something with you. A head bump could mean pet me, move, feed me, leave me alone, I don't feel well. It's one of the few ways they can really get our attention, short of biting, but it's not always easy to interpret what exactly is meant by it. I'll usually just start going through the list and see if I hit on the right thing. If she's just having issues with you because you've been the bad guy giving the meds, that will repair itself once she is feeling better and you no longer have to do it.

Usually with incontinence, they'll be wet inside around the bum and legs, and not just on the feet. If it's just the bottom of the feet, then she has to be stepping in it somewhere.

Lady my lop has bitten my butt more times than the President has given speeches.. don't take it personally. She still loves you. She just doesn't feel good right now. It's great she was grooming your daughter! That is wonderful. I agree with Jbun, I think it didn't treat what is bothering her 100% and it's come back.. and you should see a doctor that gives you what you want. If you are willing to drive I heard there was a good rabbit doctor in Silver Spring MD. Just let me know..

Good luck and let's get this girl well!

Vanessa

If she was doing good before going off the meds, and immediately things started getting worse once they were stopped, all I can think is that she was either reinfected, the coccidia didn't completely clear up, or she now has something else like a bacteria that isn't sensitive to the smz tmp. You could have another fecal test done to try and figure out what is going on exactly. Best results are from samples collected from 3 days straight. I know that there are different strains of coccidia, and some can be resistant to certain meds, so this could be a possibility as well. If the test is still showing signs of it, you could try a different med. I believe Albon is used for it. I've read that ponzuril is the best for treating coccidiosis, but is expensive, and I believe can sometimes cause lack of appetite, so syringe feeding might be necessary, but I think treatment is only for 3-5 days.

I'm sorry your poor bun is struggling so much. Coccidiosis is nasty and difficult to treat, but luckily you caught it early enough that something actually could be done. Often it is caught too late to save the bun.

The attitude could just be due to having to medicate her. Some rabbits take it very bad. You don't want her thinking that biting you is ok though. The momma bun thing usually works well, by gently but firmly pressing their head down for a few seconds. She may also be trying to communicate something with you. A head bump could mean pet me, move, feed me, leave me alone, I don't feel well. It's one of the few ways they can really get our attention, short of biting, but it's not always easy to interpret what exactly is meant by it. I'll usually just start going through the list and see if I hit on the right thing. If she's just having issues with you because you've been the bad guy giving the meds, that will repair itself once she is feeling better and you no longer have to do it.

Usually with incontinence, they'll be wet inside around the bum and legs, and not just on the feet. If it's just the bottom of the feet, then she has to be stepping in it somewhere.

Yeah I felt from go we had an issue but wasn't sure if it was body adjust going off those meds or what but every day....
I wouldn't be agreeable I think to doing the 14 days of the SMZ TMP again.
That was hell on her and I and it didn't clear it.
I don't feel this was re infection. This was a we didn't kill it.
I guess there is no way to know how much the $$ med would cost. Different vets charge differently but a 3 to 5 day run would be better on her emotionally.
I'll have to see what they would charge.
Maybe see if they would even give it and what they would charge.
Simon took Albon....I don't know if I trust it.

I already expected to walk out of the this time with Critical Care. $16 bucks.

I do the head thing with a firm no.
I watch her close when she moves in behind me. I'm not sure what's it about.
I can trick her with Bene. Put in a romaine leaf and she doesn't notice.
I haven't had to force water, pellets or pumpkin.
But her hay eating is not okay.

She bumps you and runs so it's really hard to know her.
You try to pet and she's like nope I'm out.
If she's looking for more pumpkin or romaine well there's only so much I can give of that.
Her water dish is always full.
Always has hay.
Oh she does get po'd I clip her nails but daggers you know.

I can't say the inside of her legs or bum is wet. Maybe once I picked her up and was like whoa. Why are you so wet. But it seemed liked the flat of the back of her legs.

As always, grateful for the info and insight.

I told my friend James If he really gets a bun he needs to get on this board. You guys are amazing.

Lady my lop has bitten my butt more times than the President has given speeches.. don't take it personally. She still loves you. She just doesn't feel good right now. It's great she was grooming your daughter! That is wonderful. I agree with Jbun, I think it didn't treat what is bothering her 100% and it's come back.. and you should see a doctor that gives you what you want. If you are willing to drive I heard there was a good rabbit doctor in Silver Spring MD. Just let me know..

Good luck and let's get this girl well!

Vanessa

Lol... That had me laughing. I read that to my kiddo and that made her laugh too.
More than the president :)

Whew that town is 90 miles. One way.
That's more than my dying car could probably handle.

If I could make the ride and had all the money in the world you know? Ugh......

Okay so we spoke to the Vet just now.
They do offer the med and what she could tell me was for a Netherland dwarf they had given 15 mil for 30 days for 30 dollars of the ponazuril.
The recheck is 18.
Fecal 17
The critical care 17.

Now what if the fecal comes up negative is something she just said to me.
What then huh.
Her eating hay has been off since meds dropped off.
I just don't know.

The appointment is set for Wed at 11 am with Dr. Gold.

You obviously saw an improvement on the meds, and a downturn when coming off them. Fecals can come back showing inaccurate results sometimes, but I would think even then the vet would still want to treat, either for coccidiosis or bacteria, or even both to cover your bases, as it is apparent that there is an issue, no matter what the results are showing.

Wed. is awfully far away, especially for a bun that's eating has changed and may have a serious digestive parasite, because coccidiosis is serious and things can change pretty quickly. If it were me, I would want to be in there today or tomorrow, if at all possible.

Last edited:
Okay so we spoke to the Vet just now.
They do offer the med and what she could tell me was for a Netherland dwarf they had given 15 mil for 30 days for 30 dollars of the ponazuril.
The recheck is 18.
Fecal 17
The critical care 17.

Now what if the fecal comes up negative is something she just said to me.
What then huh.
Her eating hay has been off since meds dropped off.
I just don't know.

The appointment is set for Wed at 11 am with Dr. Gold.

Is there any way they can get you guys in any quicker?
We've got that snow storm coming here in Maryland Monday.
I would not want to wait and have us get a ton of snow since
they have started calling for over 12 inches on Monday and
knowing Maryland Department of Highways, I doubt they could
keep half of the roads clean or cleared..

You guys as always are in my thoughts, but I would call back and mention
the upcoming storm coming in from the West and see if they can get you in any earlier... just a thought..

(and I'm glad you liked my analogy..about bites and speeches from the President.. even after I wrote that I flexed my toes near her, because I almost fell and knocked the entire middle of my small toe nail off and
she thought I was messing with her, grunted and BIT my toe!!! :panic:

At least she didn't bite the one missing the toe nail, she got the one beside it and I have a cute imprint of her tooth now on my toe! :devil

Vanessa

Latest posts

Back