Our Buns

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpotLover

Reaction score
So a few of you may know me from Rabbit Addict. I posted on here months and months ago asking about one of the kits I was considering getting. Since then, we have established a small rabbitry, co-owned with a friend, and will be raising quality pedigree'd Netherland Dwarf rabbits.

I feel it is necessary to introduce our buns so we can get critique, and so everyone knows who I am talking about :biggrin2:

I am still in the learning process, and any info I will suck in like a sponge!

Bucks:

Imperials Teddy
(RBTD's Frick x Imperials Sabrina)

2010 Chestnut VM with blue eyes
Netherland Dwarf buck

Teddy is a buck we are very much looking forward to getting some great litters out of. He has flashy looks and can produce BEW's!
2177112.jpg
9852927.jpg
2323209.jpg

Frank Edwin Wright IV (Co-owned)
(Lucky J's Daniel x Pineveiws Lotta Phlash)

2009 Black VM
Netherland Dwarf buck

Tres is the sire of our popular girl DS Little Layla. He has a nice head and a great personality!
1285833.jpg
441797.jpg
7834176.jpg

Does:

Chilako's Jazzy (Co-Owned)
(Twigs Malcolm x Hobbs Layla)

2009 Black otter
Netherland Dwarf doe

Checkers is our best doe so far. She has a great head set and awesome ears.
3145947.jpg
426238.jpg
8510059.jpg

Diamond Shadow's Little Layla
(Frank Edwin Wright IV x Chilako's Jazzy)

2011 Black otter VM
Netherland Dwarf doe

Layla is full of personality and is my personal favourite. Her white paw stands out easily and she is incredibly friendly.
362732.jpg
3680170.jpg
9948201.jpg

Chilako's Nibbles
(Pineveiws E2D x Hobbs Layla)

2010 Black otter (BROOD DOE)
Netherland Dwarf doe

Nibbles is a flashy girl. She has great ears and a full personality.
6399074.jpg
2696709.jpg
1303139.jpg

I would also love critique on them all. Layla is at her first show, and we are hoping she places good. It is only a small fall-fair show, so her VM markings aren't a disqualification. Her placings will be announced tomorrow, and she will come home on Sunday!

That's a lot of VMs! Got quite the project going for you there! Personally, I've never been really fond of breeding for show when about half of the kits are automatically DQ just for color. BUT...BEW is quite gorgeous...so I guess the headache could be worth it.

As far as conformation goes, I'm a little concerned that the ears on Nibbles and Tres are a little long (definitely don't breed them together because I suspect they're both false dwarfs), and their faces aren't quite as flat as ideal. I LOVE the head on Checkers! Teddy looks nice and compact. I think the ND body has been on a changing curve, and it's been a while since I've watched their competition, so I don't remember if the trend is more for ones like Teddy or toward sleeker ones like Checkers.

Good luck!

I too have concerns about the ears on Nibbles and Tres. Tres's ears seem to strike me as noticeably V-carried, which is a DQ I believe. Nibble also seems a little fine boned for me, not as stocky or full as I like my Dwarfs. But if you bred her to Teddy you might be able to correct that, because he is really stunning. Teddy is definitely the star of your herd. :)

hillrise wrote:
Nibbles and Tres are a little long (definitely don't breed them together because I suspect they're both false dwarfs), and their faces aren't quite as flat as ideal
Tres isn't a false dwarf, he is also VM, so that is automatically a DQ. He is very small, but he is only a co-owned buck and we won't be personally breeding to him. He has a hunk of a head, and a decently-shaped face, but his ears bug the heck out of me.
I have no doubt Nibbles is a false dwarf, she is huge, ugly, and poorly built, that is why she is only a brood doe, if only a pet. If it was up to me, I would have sold her the minute we got her, she's the boyfriends pet, but he wanted her to be part of our rabbitry, so she's only part of it on the web. I won't be breeding her unless we find a phenomenal buck to fix all her little problems.

HappyFarmBunnies wrote:
Teddy is definitely the star of your herd. :)
I completely agree, he will cost us about $400 JUST to get here from CA. He has already produced some exceptional offspring at his current home place and I am hopeful he will be a great producer for us.
We aren't fully going to be working on BEW's, but they are incredibly popular around here, so we will be keeping one BEW doe and one BEW buck (unless we can purchase from others) to keep in our rabbitry to keep the colours clean. We are also just starting our rabbitry, and we are only building up on stock, after we get it built up to a strong number (8-10) we will be selling the ones that won't be an asset to the Netherland Dwarf breed, or help us in our program. :biggrin2:

I would also very much like critique on Diamond Shadow's Little Layla, as it has mostly been concentrated on Tres and Nibbles. She is our home grown doe and I want to know how she is turning out! Her ears are a bit long, about 2.3 inches, but she is still needing to completely grow into them, they are also starting to look a lot like mommas ears (Chilako's Jazzy).

HappyFarmBunnies wrote:
Yep, ears a little long but it's hard for us to give a true critique when she's not posed properly.

8931115.jpg

She is about 5 months old in this picture. It was taken about 2 weeks ago. If anybody wants more pictures, they're all on my website, which is in my signature, which doesn't show.
http://diamondshadowrabbitry.weebly.com/

Latest posts

Back