OT Movin' on up

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babydoshia

Reaction score
Well, X-mas came early for my twocockatiels. I've been looking for a bigger cage for them fora week or two now. I got paid yesterday so this afternoon Iwent to a local pet store and found a perfect cage for them.I've been looking online but cages are so expensive. Theircage before was big enough, but why not give em more room tostreach. I picked up the cage this afternoon and set it upafter work and they are in it now. A little freaked out andscared but they'll adjust.

The cage is a little more than double the size of their old one and hasa stand. It has a huge main door and 3 smaller latched doors(not the "pull up" ones that the birds can open) It's reallynice, and although I spent almost half my check to get it, my birdiesare worth it.

It only cost me $113, more than I wanted to spend, but a very goodprice for this cage. Their old cage was 20h x 19lx 14w, thisnew cage is 40h x 20w x 20 w, it's 5 feet tall counting thestand. :D

Here are some pics. They arent the greatest cuz it's so dark here but you can still see it pretty good.

*I hadnt set it up yet when I took the pics. It's got lots of toys and perches in it now.

newcageclose.jpg

newcage.jpg

Here's the old one next to it.

newcageold.jpg

And, the most surprising thing of all, Mom said that she's going to getme another cockatiel for X-mas if I want one. Hmmmm.....

Hi babydoshia,

That's a beautiful cage, and you definitely got a good price on it! :dude:

My mom loves birds, always has. When my father died, the first Xmasthat came around, I figured it was time she had the Real McCoy, so Ihad gotten her a cockatiel.

At one point, she had taken a fall and had to go to the hospital, inthe nursing home section, for about 3 weeks. After the first day or twoof her being gone, I realized the bird wasn't eating. Since the nursinghome had two parakeets, I figured Mom could use her bird and the birdcould use Mom. Packed up that bird and brought it up to the nursinghome. Luckily, the staff was great about it and allowed it to stay.Can't tell you how many staff and patients used to pay a visit to Mom-- who loves to have company.

Congratulations on your new cage! I'm sure they absolutely love it. :)

-Carolyn

Awwww, Carolyn, that's so cute. Birdsreally can bond that strong with people. It's good they letyou bringhim to the hospital. The cockatiel maynothave survived without his mommy.

The birds love the new cage. They will take a while to getused to the footing but they'll work it out. In the old cagethey had everything memorized, I guess, and would move around sofast. The bar spacing on this one is smaller so they have toget used to it, and everything is not all cluttered so they have morespace. :D

These are from this morning. It's brighter out so you can actually see.

You can see Sammy in the top left corner. He's so small compared to the size of the cage. :D

newcagebrite.jpg

newcagebrite2.jpg

Thats a nice size cage. I also see a kittywonderin if it can get breakfast. My cats used to do that tomy sons mouse and even knocked its cage over a couple times.

Cristy

Thats a great sizedbirdcage:)I have one dove and she has a cage that almost looksexactly like that. It has the rounded top, and is about half the sizeof your cage, and is quite wide. It has the exact same type of wire andhas a little handle at the top. I think I got the smaller version ofyour cage lol:D:pHave fun with your cockatiels!

Cassandra

hahah I'm lovin' the cat lookin at the birds!!! *I tawt I saw a puddycat!* :p

too cute!

I notice the door is open, do you let them fly around your house?

Lol, yes, the catslike to watch thebirds sometimes. They only watch though. They knownot to touch any of the other animals. Both cats are farmcats and although I know my cats would never hurt the birds I stillnever risk it by leaving them alone. Plus, it stresses outthe birds too much. The cats are really more interested inwild birds, they could care less about the teils.

Their cage door is usually open for a few hours asnight. Unless they are on me, they just climb up to the topand hang out. Both will eventually take a lap around thehouse and then go back inside by themselves.

Back