OT-lossing my job

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

honeybunnie8

Reaction score
This is mostly a rant about my job...so if you hate rants don't continue reading.....

Basically I got hired to this computer company as a warehouse workerand everything was OK, until my supervisor decided he liked me andwould treat me different and say things like "you should find mesomeone exactly like you" and tell me how beautiful my smile was. Alsogetting really close to me when showing me how to do somthing....thenmy co-worker relapsed into drugs so we had to hire the most annoyingstupid illogical person alive. He was a pain in the ass to say theleast. then our sales guy quite. then my supervisor quite. then salesgot passed on to my druggie co-worker. I got stuck with all theresponsibility of basically running the company and dealing with hisguy who's more then difficult...i mean makes you want to rip your hairout and scream on a daily basis kind of difficult.then my druggieco-worker got fired....then just now the other one gotfired...finally...now im all by my self with a job i have no idea howto do and my boss is so frustrated...so now i talked to him and Ibasically told him I cant do this anymore and we are now shutting downthe office up here...Now I have to find a new job. Which isn't bad inits self it just I have no marketable skills. I have clerical skillsbut i am the most unorganized person. I am also forgetfull...not goodfor an office..but I can't really do physical stuff cause im not strongand I have rheumatoid arthritis in my hand....this b****...im gonnahave to get a crappy job with crappy pay...*sigh*

Hi hb8 !!

Getting the interview will probably be the most difficult part. Don'tturn down any interviews offered...even if you know you don't want thejob or f you think you might be over/under qualified. "Toss away"interviews are a good way to build confidence, improve interviewskills, and get practice.

Once I get an interview I research the company the best I can so I'llbe able to provide a good first impression. Make sure you always have aset of "interview" clothes ready and clean. Good personal appearance isalso amust.

I always make sure that I allow a few days prior to the interview totake a dry run to the location to check out parking, drivingtime/directions, etc. I will even stop in and pick up an application tofill out ahead of time...it also gives me a chance to introduce myselfto the receptionist.

One tip...pick up an extra application the first chance you get....fillit out and keep it for a reference when filling out applications in thefuture.

Also, make sure you have a resume...no matter how short orinsignificant you may think it is....because employers expect one inmost cases.

And ALWAYS send a "thank you/nice to have met withyou/will be calling you in the near future in case you should have anyfurther questions" letter after an interview.

Hope some of this helps you out.

~Jim

honeybunnie8 wrote:
im gonna have to get a crappy job with crappy pay...*sigh*

I wouldn't assume that, honeybunnie8. You might get a better job with better pay that you like more.

Get that negativity out of your head. It won't help you in aninterview or with your own depression. They say that Goddoesn't give us anything we can't handle. The time is rightfor you to move on, which is why this happened.

I would not be one bit surprised if you ended up much happier when this is all said and done.

:)

-Carolyn

I am not sure what kind of job I will be looking for. I don't think i want to work in an office unless it is a medical office.

I live in a small town where jobs are limited and experience is moreimportant then schooling. So since I have been going to school I don'thave that much experience.

I am more like quitting then getting fired. So im more worried aboutgetting a good new job then leaving this one...I will have a decentamount of time since i have to help him transition my job to someoneelse or what ever.I am in a position where if i just quite he wouldhave no idea what to do..so I will have probably a month im guessing, Ihave to talk to him still.

You should be able to collect unemployment. Ifthey are going to close the office then that would be the reason foryou to claim benefits. Even if it's a mutual agreement you should beable to collect. The only way they could deny you benefits is if yourcompany contradicts you reason for claiming. Most employers won't dothis because then they have to go in for mediations or appealsproceeding, and even then you can collect except there might be apenalty period to wait (like 6 weeks).

Unemployment also has the Work Force Development Programs that canprovide you with additional training to improve you marketability. Youcan apply for WFD training and if qualified they will pay for thetraining as well as providing unemployment benefits until the trainingis completed.

I didnt know that Jim...thanks...I dont think hewould deny me anyway I am his last employee.. the only thing I amworried about is the ability to get medical coverage. If worse comes toworse I can always work for myboyfriends family business.Evenif its just temporary and part time.

If you want to work in the medical field i thinkyou might consider one of those schools that train you for that.mydaughter went to one and was working at the hospital in 8 weeks.bluebird

I dont if they have them by you, but Berdanschools do medical training..my friend just finished a course and theyplaced her immediately into work at a Dentists office (she went for adental program) ..Good Luck to you!!

As for medical coverage, look around fortemporary programs. They're made to cover people that are inbetween jobs and are usually fairly cheap. My hubby has usedBlue Cross/Blue Shield in both Wisconsin and Minnesota for this.

This might seem cheesy, but I write for a radiostation and I wrote this at the beginning of this year. Iwrote other articles, I am on the search for them as well :D

INTERVIEW Q'S

With the new year, you may be looking for a new job... Or a new man...Or a new life. But all I have for you is tips for getting four key bitsof info with these four key questions to ask at your next jobinterview...

1. What are the biggest challenges? It'll clarify exactly what theposition entails. It also lets you talk more about why you're qualifiedfor the job.
2. Why is this position open? You'll learn why the last person left andyou'll can figure out if there's a high turnover or if the boss is adevil in disguise who will torture you.
3. What's the next step in the process? Here's where you'll find outwhether you have to meet with other staff members or take a test, soyou won't have to scramble if you're called back.
4. When will you make a decision? Knowing when to follow up will help you figure out what your next move should be.

My sister is on the hunt for a job. Obviously she wants to make a gooddecision and accept the best job. This is her formula that she has usedat every interview. She is brilliant and has been offered every jobshe's interviewed for. Thought this might help someone out :)
Good luck and happy hunting

That is very helpful that you.:D

I have cloths for interviews..a Resume ( it needs to be revised alittle i think) some very goos tips from you guys;)...and now I justhave to talk to my boss about a time line...hopefully sooner then latersince I cant stand him.:mad: Then figure out what I want to do,whichI think is going to be that hard part. Besides actuallygetting the job, of course.

Sorry to hear you're losing your job.:(

I agree with Carolyn - don't think negatively (I know - easier saidthan done) - you may be surprised. When I was fired from myfirst design job I sat in Starbucks for the next hour writing downevery negative thing about the company and the people who firedme. When I got all that out of my system, I wrotedown my goals. Now I'm at a much better job - doing what Ilike with people I like at a great company and making about 3x what Iwas making at the old job! It wound up being one of the bestthings that ever happened! Maybe it is for you, too - I hopeso!

Keep your chin up - things will get better. It's just roughin the meantime.:? Follow Jim D's advice on interviewing andstay positive.:)

It's OK, The more I think about it the moreexcited I am about not being here...I didn't get hired for the job I amdoing, it all just fell on me because no one else could do it.I gothired to do warehouse work..cleaning computers and shipping outstuff...now I'm the sales, accountant, customer service, computer techplus assistant to my boss and scapegoat to anything that goes wrong.Mostly I'm angry and frustrated.

I'm sorry to hear you're losing your job. I'm currently looking for a new job too.

I'd done interviewing and I think I'm always most impressed by peoplewho are confident in themselves, show a real willingness to learn, andask me questions so they can determine if they are able to do the job.

Jen

I figured I'd post here rather than start a new topic.

My company moved our office to the building across the street lastweek. The new space is nicer - bigger and nicer looking, butmy space has gotten much smaller. Instead of having my ownoffice with a "U" shaped desk and plenty of table space to measuregarments, I am now part of the design room with a smaller "L" shapeddesk. I still have boxes to unpack because I have no shelvesfor my books. I am the only one at this company with the jobdescription I have, so everyone assumes I do the same thing they do andtherefore need the same amount of space and the sameequipment. I measure fit samples all day, which need to layflat for accuracy. Thus the needs for lots of tablespace. (I had to complain to get the L desk - they thoughtjust giving me a flat screen monitor would give me enough space on onedesk! HA!)

It gets better. They are installing a hand-identificationdevice so they can track when we clock in and out. They arealso installing internet monitoring software and security cameras - oneof which is directly over my desk. I understand a lot ofcompanies already do these things, but when you are used to the honorsystem, it's difficult to suddenly be treated this way.Between that and the smaller space, I feel like I'm being punished forsomething, but I have no idea what. And I feel like no onecares.:(

Oh, yeah one more thing. Our file server crashed during themove. All of our files are corrupted. And they'vebeen too cheap to back anything up since March. So for thelast week I've been able to do very little of the huge stack of work onmy desk, because all the files are on the server. It lookslike we are going to have to re-create EVERYTHING.

Sorry to vent, but I have been extremely depressed about thislately. I love the work I do, the people I work with aregreat, but the company (which I thought was great until last week) isturning out to be just as bad as the rest of the companies inthis industry. I don't enjoy coming here the way I usedto. I'd look for another job, but from what I've heard aroundthis industry things aren't any better anywhere else.

It's just really hard when you like something so much and it goes and changes on you.:(

Thanks for listening.

Please. Put everything into perspective.

I quit a job I loved. It was challenging, it was fun, everything I could dream of, except the co-workers were the worst ever.

In the end, I would rather have a dull job with fun people to work with than a super job with the worst people.

So while no job is perfect, I urge you to please enjoy the part that's the most important.

Your company is paranoid, so be it. Be the better (wom)man...

:)

proxi

You said you were most interested in working ina medical office....i dont know how comfy you feel dealing with ppl,but have you ever thought about drug repping? It is wonderful pay ..they pay for your gas/insurance and you get to write it off on yourtaxes ...you rarely have to deal with co-workers ...not stuck in acubicle all day ..get to go out to expense paid dinnerswithyour clients...you get medical ...and some companies if you are inschool will re-imburse you for classes that have anything to do withyour job.I know once i graduate even tho id like togo directly into research its impossible...id be hired as a lab b****doing clean up stuff for $6 an hour....so ill start with repping forand be able to work my way better up a company say like Merck....andill still be able to attend grad school at night and cover my inbetween period of med. coverage (i have coverage from my parents untilim 25 while in school, but i'd feel better starting at a company beforeit runs out b/c most places you have to work for 6 months before youstart receiving benefits)....but whatever desicion you make the best ofluck to you and i hope it turns out well :)

Latest posts

Back