OT: Free Kittuns

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dreamgal042

Reaction score
Free Kittuns
from an essay by Jim Willis, ©2002

The sign on the mailbox post was hand-lettered on cardboard and read"Free Kittuns." It appeared there two or three times a year, sometimesspelled this way, sometimes that, but the message was always the same.

In a corner of the farmhouse back porch was a cardboard box with adirty towel inside, on which huddled a bouquet of kittens of differentcolors, mewing and blinking and waiting for their mama to return fromhunting in the fields. The mother cat managed to show them enoughinterest for the first several weeks, but after having two or threelitters per year, she was worn out and her milk barely lasted longenough for her babies to survive.

One by one, people showed up over the next several days and each took akitten. Before they left the woman who lived there always said the samething, "You make sure you give that one a good home - I've become veryattached to that one."

One by one the kittens and their new people drove down the long driveway and past the sign on the mailbox post, "Free Kittuns."

The ginger girl kitten was the first to be picked. Her four-year-oldowner loved her very much, but the little girl accidentally injured thekitten's shoulder by picking her up the wrong way. She couldn't beblamed really - no adult had shown her the proper way to handle akitten. She had named the kitten "Ginger" and was very sad a few weekslater when her older brother and his friends were playing in the livingroom and someone sat on the kitten.

The solid white boy kitten with blue eyes was the next to leave with acouple who announced even before they went down the porch steps thathis name would be "Snowy." Unfortunately, he never learned his name andeveryone had paid so little attention to him that nobody realized hewas deaf. On his first excursion outside he was run over in thedriveway by a mail truck.

The pretty gray and white girl kitten went to live on a nearby farm asa "mouser." Her people called her "the cat," and like her mother andgrandmother before her she had many, many "free kittuns," but theysapped her energy. She became ill and died before her current litter ofkittens was weaned.

Another brother was a beautiful red tabby. His owner loved him so muchthat she took him around to meet everyone in the family and herfriends, and their cats, and everyone agreed that "Erik" was a handsomeboy. Except his owner didn't bother to have him vaccinated. It took allthe money in her bank account to pay a veterinarian to treat him whenhe became sick, but the doctor just shook his head one day and said"I'm sorry."

The solid black boy kitten grew up to be a fine example of a tomcat.The man who adopted him moved shortly thereafter and left "Tommy" wherehe was, roaming the neighborhood, defending his territory, andfathering many kittens until a bully of a dog cornered him.

The black and white girl kitten got a wonderful home. She was named"Pyewacket." She got the best of food, the best of care until she wasnearly five years old. Then her owner met a man who didn't like cats,but she married him anyway. Pyewacket was taken to an animal shelterwhere there were already a hundred cats. Then one day, there were none.

A pretty woman driving a van took the last two kittens, a gray boy anda brown tiger-striped girl. She promised they would always staytogether. She sold them for fifteen dollars each to a laboratory. Tothis day, they are still together...in a jar of alcohol.

Kittens%20in%20a%20basket.jpg

You are finally free, kittens.

WOW!

That is some story Dreamgal. Just goes to show you that not everyoneshould have a Pet. Most do not realize what it takes nor how long a PetCat, Dog, Rabbit, Snake or what have you can live with proper care. Theproblem being: That most are never told and will never take it uponthemselves to learn about the animals they claim to care so much about.It was a truly moving story.

Dennis,C.V.R.

That story is very sad, and very moving,especially now when I think about the little babies that are sleepingjust a few feet away.

It breaks my heart to hear stories like this, which we do, all toofrequently, at the shelter. Boxes of kittens, two or three litters in aweek, are frequently dumped. Many are euthanized - there will never beenough homes for all of them. A lot of the "owners" get upset when wesay the kittens might be put to sleep, as though they suddenly carewhat happens to "their babies". What's better, a humane death orsomething that might happen, as in the story?

As a side note, Jim Willis has written some great essays for animals, including this short one, which is one of my favorites:

[align=center]The Animals' Savior[/align]

I looked at all the caged animals in the shelter...the cast-offs of human society.
I saw in their eyes love and hope, fear and dread, sadness and betrayal.
And I was angry.
"God," I said, "this is terrible! Why don't you do something?"
God was silent for a moment and then He spoke softly.
"I have done something," He replied.
"I created You."

~M

That's okay. I'm always glad when people read something like that and are moved by it.

~M

That is a very sad story i have two cats andwould hate to lose them. It is even hard just to go to ashelter to see all of the cats and kittens. In our town theeyhave almost two rooms full of cats and kittens the last time i wasthere. Wish i could give them all a home.

Robert

What a sad story, and what makes it worse is thatit happens all the time, to all animals (cats,rabbits,dogs,hamsters etcetc) What you say is right, Dennis, that so many pets are boughtwithout proper knowledge, and owners not bothering to seek help. It'sgreat to see people asking questions in the Forum - shows they care!

Jan

OMG!! That just makes you want to cry. I'm a cat person at heart.

My cat, Chubbles, turned 14 this year but due to old age and youngchildren he has gone to live out his life with my father. I am nowtaking care of a stray that he's owners thought wasn't worth trying totake with them. Just makes me so mad....that's like throwing your childout into the streets...in my opinion!

Shannon

Oh wow. I know this was posted two years ago, but this is still very sad; and it still happens. I'm very glad you posted this Dream; even though you're probably not a part of this forum anymore, but I replied to this to make it go to the first page of the "Let Your Hare Down" forum, so new members could read it and reply....

Poor Kittens :(

Emily

That broke my heart... :(

It reminds me of when I first started at the shelter, and how I ended up with some of these animals who share similar stories to these cats.

We can't save them all :nosir:

Latest posts

Back