orphaned at 4 weeks...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnsonfarm

Reaction score
I have a litter of 10 flemish giants that were orphaned today:(

I read the article above about feeding orphans and the only ingredients I can get quickly would be the KMR and heavy cream. They are 4 weeks old and have been nibbling on the pellets and even the dandelions I was giving their mom. They've also been playing with the water bottle.

So, what do I do? The stores around here are all closed so I will have to wait till morning to pick up the stuff I need. Are they going to be ok with the pellets? My husband suggested giving them some oatmeal if they'll eat it. Is there any way to make sure they're getting enough water?

This is so sad, they all come running when I open the cage and looking for mama, they look so lost! I really want to keep them all going.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!!!!

How did they become abandoned in the first place? If there is any chance they can be back with their mother, than that would be best. Their digestive systems are still extremely sensitive at this time, and only mother's milk has the right antibodies and nutrients in it that they need at this time.

However, if you're absolutely sure you can't get them back with the mother,and ifhave an emergency vet in the area, you can go there and purchase some formula from them for the kits. Do not give them oatmeal. They shouldn't have anything other than milk, pellets, hay, and water.

To make sure they remain hydrated, gentley lift up the skin between their shoulder blades. If they are getting enough fluids, the skin should quickly snap back. If it's slow to fall back, than they'll need to be hydrated.

They are definately orphaned, their mom is buried in our backyard.

No emergency vets in the area, no vets within an hours drive period, and as I said the stores are closed for the night. I read on the House Rabbit Society's site that you can give them dry bread soaked in KMR with some acidophilus. That I can do.
As far as rehydrating them if they need it, do you give them water with a syringe?

I would see if you can get them to drink water and maybe mix up some some KMR (but not use a lot) and soak a few pellets in it to see if they'll eat the pellets.

Also give them hay.

I prefer using a formula but sometimes you have to use what you can use.

I'd stay away from the cream since you need such a tiny amount of it.

I agree with TinysMom. I'd try to mix some water with a small amount of KMR. I'd stay away from using the bread. Even though it may work, it's pretty risky with their digestive systems.

Worst case scenario- As long as they are hydrated, they should beok untill morning when you can get a proper formula. They should be use to waiting a few hours for food, since nursing does only feed their young 1-2 times a day. Just be sure to keep a close eye on them and provide plenty of fluid.

So sorry to hear about the mother rabbit, btw :(

This just happened to me, with a batch of three week olds. Their mom just started attack them after I had a photoshoot.

Ran out and got supplies for a formula I couldn't get them to take. The colostrum's pretty important from what I know. It's quite expensive, but well worth it. If it'd be there in any sort of decent time, I'd send you the rest of my stash... But it'd take forever, and I'm not sure how well a box of white powder would go through the mail (lol, kinda?).

Fortunately for me, I got mom calmed down the next day, and got them back to her. But yeah.. Pretty important to keep them eating the right things.

So sorry about the situation. It really sucks, I know.

I bought powdered colostrum at the feed store for $10 or so. I keep it on hand since it was a goodly amount - I also bought the powdered KMR and goat's milk so I can mix it up as needed.

At 4 weeks of age, the bunnies shouldn't have any problem eating on their own. Mix a little steam rolled oats with pellets and give them a little hay. A tiny bit of carrots, apples, or greens will also help to keep them hydrated.

Thanks everyone. This morning they all looked great, full bellies and hydrated. The water bottle was down and so were the pellets so I know they're eating. I gave them a little bit of dandelion greens since they had been nibbling on them earlier. Will keep you posted!

Just a quick update to let you know that they are all doing wonderfully. Eating solids exclusively now and no diarrhea. Thank for all the advice!

I'm so happy for you great news :biggrin2:

Latest posts

Back