Organic rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't order anything that expensive either (as regular)but I am looking for different types of food that I can mix up for beau to have a better diet.

When I get it I'll list all the ingredients

Odd that they don't have the nutritional information. I'd be interested in all the info too, in case it might be better for Fey than BB/T.

Edit: Although that price is crazy! I wonder why it costs so much?

Ok
I got the Organic Rabbit from Oxbow on Mon. It is a good pellet. I will post the nutritional info when I have a lot of time because it does have a lot of varied ingredients. I will say that it is hay based but also an attempt to mimic a diet that a rabbit would eat in nature. All the ingredients are organic it is very low fat, very high fiber, low protein and low calcium. it has an unusuall odor
Now the good part....
I haven't posted about Beau (3 weeks post 6 dental extractions) because he has been lingering somewhere between heaven and earth,
he has lost approx lost 1/2 of his body weight despite the fact that he does eat with a lot of problems and also I have had problems getting him to take in enough fluids.

I sit with him numerous times perday while he sucks pedialyte from a syringe.
he has been eating critical care and pellets mixed into a gruel and also pumpkin with pineapple juice on it . he cannot chew at all.

Well I have started mixing this new pellet into the critical care and HE LOVES THE TASTE. he is sucking up this stuff big time which is going to make me have to order more of it at it's ridiculous price.

I canceled his recheck last week because i felt that he was too fragile to make the trip. We go this fri and hopefully he will be better.

I am hoping that liking this new pellet will put some weight on him...plus his poops have been way more normal than they have for a long time.

oxbow get 5 stars on this one!:D

I noticed they also have organic hay. I wonder if that is any tastier than the regular hay. I might have to try a bag.

Wow that is really cool! I don't order from Oxbow, as feeding 9+ rabbits would just be dang expensive! But a 3lb bag for $10? That's crazy!

I wish that Oxbow was sold in some of my local stores though. I really want to try giving my rabbits a better pellet and hay diet....Right now I just feed them plain old 16% pellets and very nice quality grass hay though. :)

Emily

Is this what your all looking for?
If it is, it's right on the site :p
Just click "Learn more about Organic Rabbit"

Ingredients:
Organic Grass Hay, Organic Canola Meal, Organic Wheat Straw, Organic Sunflower
Meal, Organic Barley, Organic Flax Seed, Sodium Bentonite, Limestone, Sea Salt,
LAscorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (Source of Vitamin C), Organic Dandelion Leaf, Organic
Ground Rosemary, Inulin, Organic Cranberry, Organic Blueberry, Dried Yucca
Schidigera, Yeast Culture (dehydrated), Vitamin E Supplement, Choline Chloride, Zinc
Proteinate, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Niacin, Copper Sulfate, Selenium Yeast,
Vitamin A Supplement, Folic Acid, d-Calcium Pantothenate, CopperProteinate,
Riboflavin Supplement, Manganese Proteinate, Biotin, Manganous Oxide, Thiamine
Mononitrate, Magnesium Sulfate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Sodium Selenite, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Cobalt Carbonate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Calcium Iodate,
Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide

Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein min 12.00%
Crude Fat min 2.00%
Crude Fiber min 23.00%
Crude Fiber max 25.00%
Moisture max 12.00%
Calcium min 0.60%
Calcium max 0.90%
Phosphorus min 0.30%
Vitamin A IU/kg 19,000
Vitamin D IU/kg 900
Vitamin E IU/kg 190
Copper IU/kg 25

Boz wrote:
Is this what your all looking for?
Thanks Boz. :D

Itis completely different from Bunny Basics/T. The ingredients should appeal to the bunny. The fat content is the same as Bunny Basics 12/23 from the sunflower meal, and Flaxseed in it.

I suddenly feel like I'm getting ripped off. I fed my bunnies ZuPreem Nature's Promise timothy pellets until I could order Oxbow online, and the ZuPreem pellets cost $15 for a 5 pound bag! It's nowhere near as good as those organic pellets. One of the joys of living in the middle of nowhere is paying out the nose for stuff like this. If I could get those organic pellets shipped here for cheap, I would be all over them.

Also, I'm so glad Beau is eating better! I really hope the pellets help him gain weight and get healthy again :biggrin2:

So, how does Organic Rabbit compare to Bunny Basics? I e-mailed the company and they got back to me within 5 minutes to say they could ship it to me for $15! I'm considering switching Rory and Skyler to it if it's really good for them.

SnowyShiloh wrote:
how does Organic Rabbit compare to Bunny Basics?

Bunny Basics/T

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein (min) 14.00 %
Crude Fat (min) 1.50 %
Crude Fiber (min) 25.00 %
Crude Fiber (max) 29.00 %
Moisture (max) 10.00 %
Calcium(min) 0.35 %
Calcium (max) 0.85 %
Phosphorus (min) 0.25 %
Salt (min) 0.50 %
Salt (max) 1.00 %
Vitamin A, IU/kg 20,000
Vitamin D, IU/kg 880
Vitamin E, IU/kg 140
Copper, mg/kg 20

Ingredients
Timothy Grass Meal, Soybean Hulls, Wheat Middlings, Soybean Meal, Cane Molasses, Salt, Limestone, Yeast Culture (Saccharomyces cerevisiae), Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement (tocopherol), Vitamin C Supplement (Ascorbic Acid), Colloidal Silica, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Vitamin K), Riboflavin, Niacin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pantothenic Acid, Biotin, Thiamine, Choline Chloride, DL-Methionine, Pyrodoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Sodium Selenite, Magnesium Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Cobalt Carbonate, Manganese Oxide, Zinc Oxide, Zinc Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Mineral Oil, Calcium Iodate, Potassium Chloride

Note that Organic Rabbit costs $10 for a 3 lb. bag with your shipping of $15 :?

I mean, is the organic stuff substantially better than the regular stuff or what? The $15 shipping would be the same for 1 bag or 5 bags, if I were going to order it I'd probably buy a bunch so I wouldn't have to buy any for a while or pay shipping again.

I think that this pellet probably is way more tasty than BBT and healthy too. I am thinking of getting it and mixing it with BBt so I don't go through so much...

Thanks, Boz! They didn't have any info posted on the Oxbow website last time I looked.

SnowyShiloh- The Organic has much lower protein than BB/T, lower fiber, and higher fat. The added fats are actually from really good ingredients- canola oil, sunflower seeds, and flax seeds- which provide essential fatty acids. Actually for Fey I've been giving flax and sunflower seeds as a supplement. Ingredients like cranberry and blueberry add antioxidants (and cranberry is thought to help prevent bladder and kidney problems). Dandelion is also thought to help the kidneys if I remember right.

I'd be interested in trying it if it wasn't so darn expensive. I can buy 10 lbs of BB/T for about $12. Maybe just for Fey-she's verysensitive to protein-although she's been sharing meals with Oberon lately...

Angieluv, I'm really glad Beau likes it. One quick thought- since he's losing so much weight, maybe you could up the fat content by adding ground flax or sunflower seeds? Some health stores sell them pre-ground for smoothies, or if you have a food processor you can do the work yourself. A lot of normal grocery stores carry whole flax seeds now in the baking section. Also, any chance he likes Nutrical? I'd give that too if he's willing. Mine hate it.

Edit: "Better" depends on what you are looking for. I'm very happy with BB/T for most of my buns. Fey is the only one with issues so she only gets 2 tablespoons a day. She has issues with anything that has protein in it. I would say the extra ingredients- seeds with fatty acids, fruits, dandelion, etc- would be a big plus if you don't feed any veggies. I feed fresh dandelions and frozen cranberries on a regular basis along with a variety of other greens.

Latest posts

Back