Oreo ate pieces of metal 😰😰

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys !! I'm at a lost right now and I could really use some help πŸ˜…πŸ˜…

You see I have two lil fluffballs, Angel and Oreo :D They actually managed to chew through the wooden platform flooring of their cage so I had to result in using a metal sheet to put under the platforms so they wouldn't be able to eat the pet sheets below .. But turns out Oreo managed to eat and chew through the metal sheet >.< This is his 2nd time doing this and I really don't know what to do anymore πŸ₯²

He's still eating fine and drinking lots of water and eating hay and all but I just couldn't help but worry if he ingested some of the metal pieces that he managed to chew and tear apart. Will he be able to poop out everything ? Please send help πŸ₯²πŸ₯² I would appreciate any suggestions given ☺️

Thank you !!

If metal really was ingested or you think it might have been, you need to take your rabbit to a knowledgeable rabbit vet. There's no way to know for sure if there are metal pieces in your rabbits digestive tract without xrays being done. And if any was ingested there could be a chance it could perforate the digestive tract. If xrays do show metal pieces inside your rabbit, it's likely surgery would be required to remove them.

If metal really was ingested or you think it might have been, you need to take your rabbit to a knowledgeable rabbit vet. There's no way to know for sure if there are metal pieces in your rabbits digestive tract without xrays being done. And if any was ingested there could be a chance it could perforate the digestive tract. If xrays do show metal pieces inside your rabbit, it's likely surgery would be required to remove them.
But luckily he’s been pooping well πŸ˜… Should I just monitor him for now and give him more hay to help him push it out ? Also the metal bits are like aluminium and he tore it into small pieces before he ate it .

Thanks for responding JBun !! πŸ’“

There's no way for me to know these things. I can't know if he consumed the metal, if he did consume it how much he might have consumed and how big the pieces were, or how sharp they could have been and if they could cause any internal damage. And if he did consume the metal, I can't say if it will just pass through or if it could cause damage. Those are all variables that only a vet could determine, but even then the vet may only be able to suggest you wait and see depending on what might show in an xray. I've given the best and only suggestion I have to give, which is to take your rabbit to or at least consult with a knowledgeable rabbit vet.

Back