Opinions wanted: American Fuzzy Lops?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DelightfulEccentricity

Reaction score
In preparation for seriously considering showing, I've been researching various breeds and am smitten with the adorable American Fuzzy Lops. I'm also a bit of a DIY-addict and the thought that they produce fibers that can be spun and used has me enamored. However, I've never actually met one and wanted to know if anyone has any advice or opinions on the breed. :) I'm trying to take time off to attend a rabbit show nearby next month but that seems so far off, heh. Advice on these cute balls of fluff would be appreciated!

I must admit, I have a "thing" for brushing. :) I love to brush critters, as my meticulously-groomed Persian can attest! :D Plus I read somewhere that blowing out a Fuzzy Lop's coat is good for it, and that I can do, too. :)

I was just discussing the show in November with my manager...alas, I will have to work that weekend, but my manager said she'll try to make sure I have a stupid o' clock early morning shift so I can get out and drive over to Lansing after work on the Saturday at least. :) Hopefully being able to spend only a Saturday afternoon there will be enough...I hate that I might miss things. :(

Hi there! I have been raising Fuzzy Lops off and on for 3 years now! They are my favourite breed. Their coat is not high maintenance, a quick comb or brush once a week is enough. And plucking their coats is very easy and should be done as well.
They are super friendly, sociable and floppy. I would say go for it! You won't regret it.

Thanks, Brittany! :) They are so cute it hurts my brain. XD I honestly can't wait for the show in Lansing, I'm almost certain to have some time off on Saturday to drive over. :) I'm really looking forward to the experience, and to meeting some breeders who'll be showing there who can also help guide me.

Not 100% positive about this, but with fuzzy lops you can breed Holland lops with them for a better body type, so that way you can have two breeds instead of one, without all the complication of raising two different breeds, I've always found that quite interesting :)

YOu are right Yamaya! I have Holland Does and a Fuzzy buck and I am still raising purebred Rabbits. Out of the breeding you will get either full Holland or Fuzzy Holland.

yamaya17 wrote:
Not 100% positive about this, but with fuzzy lops you can breed Holland lops with them for a better body type, so that way you can have two breeds instead of one, without all the complication of raising two different breeds, I've always found that quite interesting :)

Hollands are posed up on the table, while Fuzzys are posed down. You may also get coats that are too soft in the fuzzy's when crossing with Hollands (DQ in Fuzzys).

Not saying that it isn't done a lot - just a warning to beginners.

Back