Opinions please

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amy27

Task Force
Reaction score
I am looking for opinions on whether you would continue to bond at this point or let it go. Here is the back story.

Chase and Little Bunny (LB) were bonded for four years. They unbonded when Chase had bladder surgery and I rebonded them. Chase had bladder surgery again and they unbonded again. I tried to rebond them again. But it just wasn't working. I knew I was going to move soon so I decided I would rebond them when I moved. I hoped the move would help them bond together due to stress.

Well, I moved a couple days ago. I put them together. Chase went at LB a few times and pulled out some fur. Which was what she did at my previous home. The first night here, I slept in their cage to make sure I heard any fights and could stop them. When I first got to the new apartment, I fed everyone and both rabbits ate. However, the first night was horrible. Chase would go slowly up to LB and LB would run like crazy, making Chase chase her. (That is where Chase got her name. She loves to chase anything running). I could tell the difference from when Chase was running at LB to be mean or when she was just going up to her. Regardless, LB ran like crazy. LB was very stressed. I don't think it was because of the move because she seemed fine from the move. She seemed stress because of Chase. By morning, she was sitting in a corner. Going to the bathroom there and sitting in it and not eating. I think she was fearful to leave her corner because Chase would come after her. Even though I know, sometimes Chase was going up to her in a nonaggressive way. Because she wasn't eating and she ate when I first brought her to the new apartment. I separated the two of them. She immediatly perked up and started to eat. And Chase and LB kissed through the cages.

Would you keep trying to rebond? LB seems so afraid of Chase. Chase would never do more then pull out her fur. I have bonded or tried to bond them so many times that I really believe this. I also know that sometimes when Chase goes up to LB, it isn't in an aggressive way. But LB seems so afraid of Chase, she just goes crazy running from him.

It would make their lives better if I could bond them. They both could have free roam of the apartment 24-7. But is it worth the stress it is causing to LB? I am really torn on what to do here. I hate that LB felt so scared she stopped eating and was sitting in her own urine and poop.

I think that Chase is fine being a single bun. However, I really think LB is lonely. I told myself if they didn't rebond this time, I would get LB a friend. But I don't have the room to house 3 buns separately if LB didn't bond with a bunny.

I am just so torn. I am not sure what to do. The ideal situation would be if they rebonded. But I can't put LB through something she has become so fearful of. This is her house to and I want her to feel comfortable here. But they kiss and love on each other through the cages.

I have pretty much decided I wouldn't try to bond them again after LB reaction. But I just keep questioning myself. Am I doing it for LB or because it is easier for me. The night I slept in their cage, they woke me up every 30-45 minutes and that was after moving all day. I was so exhausted. But, if LB can go through a move and still eat. But the bonding makes her so upset she stops, that tells me it isn't right. Even if it worked before.

I have thought about continuing to try to bond them. To try the washer and bathtub. Is bonding always this hard? If I got LB a friend, could I tell that they would always be friends. I always thought LB and Chase would always be friends.

Regardless of what I decide to do. I am going to let both rabbits settle in more first. I really felt horrible that LB got so upset she stopped eating and wouldn't use the litter box. I really just want both of them to have run of the apartment 24-7. They are both so well behaved, that I don't want to ever keep either of them in cages. But if they don't get along, I have to always keep one of them in a cage.

Back