Opinions on this litter?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShreddersMom

Reaction score
I know pine and cedar shavings are a no go for small animals. i came across this litter and pet store and don't know if this is okay. It seems cool because they say it "blossoms" or something? It is pine though so I'm wondering if it is okay. My bun currently uses Yesterday's News but this stuff was cheaper. Waht do you guys think?

http://www.guardianlitter.com/natural_litter_pellet.html

The wood stove pellets (or wood pellets used for horse stalls) are processed differently than pine shavings. That is why they are considered safe. They look exactly like the Yesterday's News, but, as Watermelons pointed out, are infinitely cheaper than Yesterday's News.

The wood pellets even seem to do a better job than Yesterday's News. The pellets expand and break apart when wet (which may be similar to the "blossoming" of the ones you've linked.

Wood stove pellets are usually found in home improvement stores. The horse bedding ones found in feed stores.

Hey, I just googled and found what I believe is the same Guardian brand but for horses. It has the 40lb bag for $8.61. Looks like the same type wood pellets we were talking about but may be cheaper than the ones you linked?
http://www.midlandhardware.com/151772.html?gclid=CI7D8Yn7scsCFQiqaQodUWQDxQ#.Vt86bdvn_IU

So any sort of pine pellet is alright then? As long as it isn't shavings?

Read up people--those have been kiln dried, and that will remove all the phenols which is what can kill. Any pine shaving or pellet that has been kiln dried and doesn't have accelerant added is safe for small animals. At Walmart, the cedar bedding only shows large animals on it's packaging and even though it's kiln dried, cedar is never safe--that's why it is used to line hope chests as it is very toxic to small things and prevents moth and rodent damage. We have been using kiln dried pine for almost 2 decades now and never had a problem.

Latest posts

Back