Opinions on Housing? And help?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aushi

Reaction score
Hello! A couple of days ago I posted about ideas for housing cuz I was desperate to get my buns out of their bad improv housing (http://www.rabbitsonline.net/f69/housing-young-buns-80099/).

Well I've finally done it!

2vbvl3b.jpg

I went with the storage cubes anyways because I decide to make no second floors until they're bigger.

I also had to do major improvisation because they fit through the holes, so I have to make a barrier all around to keep them inside.

I'm missing the fleece and obviously toys, on the side I have a litter box and hay. :) What else do you guys think I'm missing?

And also! What can I put on the floor to protect it while they get trained? I live in my mother's second home and she demands I protect the floor, so I need something safe! :x

Last edited:
looks great, they are some tiny buns in there! how old are they? My buns love to run through cardboard tubes - i picked some up from a curtain and blind place, they often get their blinds shipped to them in large super thick cardboard tubes and these they then just throw away so where happy to give me a few.

As for the floor, i'm not sure. Some vinyl (like what you can put on kitchen floors)? if you got a bit cut a little bigger than the cage area then they wouldn't chew on the edges and should keep the floor safe. You could just layer the floor with newspaper but not sure i'd trust it myself. not if your mother has insisted the floor be fully protected.

coroplast could work for flooring depending on the size of the cage. It comes in 4X8 sheets. You would want it longer than the cage to prevent chewing. You can purchase it from companies that make signs. Let them know what it is for and they may charge you less. Usually it's less than $20.

It is somewhat slippery though so may not work for all buns. My girls had no problems with it.

Another option is mats that they sell at the big home improvement stores. They have different types made of different materials.

looks great, they are some tiny buns in there! how old are they? My buns love to run through cardboard tubes - i picked some up from a curtain and blind place, they often get their blinds shipped to them in large super thick cardboard tubes and these they then just throw away so where happy to give me a few.

As for the floor, i'm not sure. Some vinyl (like what you can put on kitchen floors)? if you got a bit cut a little bigger than the cage area then they wouldn't chew on the edges and should keep the floor safe. You could just layer the floor with newspaper but not sure i'd trust it myself. not if your mother has insisted the floor be fully protected.

They are one month old (5 weeks now!), where I live getting them older it basically impossible :c No shelters, and people don't usually own bunnies, so they don't usually give them in adoption.

Oooh the cardboard tubes are a cool idea, won't chewing it be dangerous for them?

My mother suggested the plastic curtain for the shower for the floors until I'm 100% sure they are trained, but I don't think it's such a safe idea :c

coroplast could work for flooring depending on the size of the cage. It comes in 4X8 sheets. You would want it longer than the cage to prevent chewing. You can purchase it from companies that make signs. Let them know what it is for and they may charge you less. Usually it's less than $20.

It is somewhat slippery though so may not work for all buns. My girls had no problems with it.

Another option is mats that they sell at the big home improvement stores. They have different types made of different materials.

MATS! I keep getting told this and whenever I'm at the shop it poofes right out of my mind! Grrr

Also, do you guys think the cage is big enough for now? When they are older I do plan on adding a second floor, but for now the cage is 4 x 5 ft :c

Cardboard is safe for them to chew on make sure there is no tape on it. You could also take a small box and cut a hole in it for a little place for them to go in and out of and connect it to other boxes to make a little tunnel type deal for them to crawl around in or chew on.Mine like to sit on top of the boxes chew them or push them around.I think the cage is big enough and once you add another level they will have plenty of room it looks nice!

Cardboard is safe for them to chew on make sure there is no tape on it. You could also take a small box and cut a hole in it for a little place for them to go in and out of and connect it to other boxes to make a little tunnel type deal for them to crawl around in or chew on.Mine like to sit on top of the boxes chew them or push them around.I think the cage is big enough and once you add another level they will have plenty of room it looks nice!

Ok thanks! I had a buuunch of empty shoe boxes, so I'm gonna clean any dust from them, make sure no tape is around and make a fun tunnel for them ^_^

I've got a tunnel from the pet shop and my two boys absolutely love it!

Latest posts

Back