Operation "Fatten up Slipper"

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ofelia

Reaction score
My older buck eats well but needs fattening up.
I am going to separate him briefly from the others, monitor his food intake etc.

He is only 850g and was 900g 2 months ago.
He will be weighed once a week from now on, there are pictures of him in my blog:

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=38100&forum_id=6

I want him to eat some higher calorie foods because of he does get sick, he may need the extra weight to help him recover.

He is much loved and has the sweetest personality but is likely blind and deaf but its hard to know really, he has been to a vet a few times and they simply say that he is small, in satisfactory condition etc and possibly a bit mentally disabled.

We suspect he had an accident before he was handed over to us for re-homing.

Anyone got any suggestions for a good food supply for this little wee old man,

cheers :)

Can you give him a few rolled oats as a snack 2 or 3 times a week? Do you all eat bananas often? I usually give the bunnies a small coin of banana when we have some.... those things were actually bad for Bo cause he tends to pick up weight from his snacks and the other bunnies' as well! We also buy dried papaya cubes and those are really good for their digestion as well as a good source of weight.

I also gave Bo a few cheerios each week - he only gets those (and just a couple) for special occassions now. He loves them and it kills me but I have to limit those kinds of things cause they mess up his tummy a bit. SO be sure to start slow. Give him 3 or 4 oat pieces for a breakfast or something.... We always give the bunnies "bwekfuss" of some kind.... that's their treat - a craisen, a couple of oatsies, a twig or a piece of banana or papaya.

I would get Nutri-Cal on some oats, sprinkle some sunflower seeds or Flaxseed, and add some alfalfa hay or alfalfa pellets for his food.

Oh yeah! My mom has been trying to fatten up Diesel's mom and aunt now that they are fixed and we got kitty NutriCal and Kelly (Diesel's mom) has picked up about 2 pounds and she's a tiny kitty!

Pet_Bunny wrote:
I would get Nutri-Cal on some oats, sprinkle some sunflower seeds or Flaxseed, and add some alfalfa hay or alfalfa pellets for his food.

:yeahthat:

When I needed to get Sass' weight up, we added alfalfa pellets to the mix. I also offered him critical care every few days, he loves the stuff and it had some good calories. Both did the job!

Latest posts

Back