Open vs Closed litterbox

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeanutsPlace

Reaction score
Hello!
I’m trying to decide if I should actually invest in a closed litter box and was wondering if people could let me know what there opinion is on this debate! If you have an opinion please post it down below, as it could also be a reference for others making the same decision. Thanks in advance guys!

Enclosed litter boxes entrap the ammonia fumes released by the urine. This could cause problems for a rabbit's delicate respiratory system. If a high-sided box is needed for a rabbit that tends to dig litter/hay out of the box then an opening can be cut into a high-sided tote.
1648225483384.png

I think they are fine to use!!! By rabbit has an open litter box. I got him with the litter box, he was used to it so I kept it. I will try to post a picture later.

I personally dislike closed litter boxes for rabbits and even cats alike.

Like Blue Eyes said, they trap ammonia and can cause respiratory issues, and there's much safer alternatives to using a covered litter box. It's also harder to monitor your rabbit's poop and hay intake, as well as they only have one exit which can often make a bunny feel trapped.
Also, I see covered litter boxes mainly being used for the aesthetic purpose to cover up the mess, but they don't even look that great anyways and there's better options to cover it up both safely and nicely.

Kat_esque on Youtube has a nice video explaining rabbit litterboxes :)

If you'd like a little more detail, a rabbit's urine is alkaline (from herbivore diet). If protein levels are a little high in their diet, excess nitrogen is excreted in the urine. Bacteria then convert that nitrogen to ammonia. Ammonia, breathed in by the rabbit and trapped by the hooded lid, can inflame the rabbit's lungs. This makes them susceptible to pneumonia, Pastuerella or other respiratory infections.

I see this is an old post, so taking a chance here. Would having the litterbox in the castle shown here (2 exits and an opening to the second floor there, so I'm hoping there is enough circulation. Yes, it is to keep it from sight!

I ask because Teddy does sneeze every now and then, although isn't sick at all. Wondering if it's the ammonia issue mentioned here.

Thanks!

I see this is an old post, so taking a chance here. Would having the litterbox in the castle shown here (2 exits and an opening to the second floor there, so I'm hoping there is enough circulation. Yes, it is to keep it from sight!

I ask because Teddy does sneeze every now and then, although isn't sick at all. Wondering if it's the ammonia issue mentioned here.

Thanks!
It's difficult to see the other openings in the photo, so hard to say. From what I can see, it would seem to have the potential to be a bit stifling for a litter box in there. BTW, the capture of your rabbit in that photo is fantastic.

Thank you for your thoughts and the compliment! It's a funny one! I've moved his castle outside of his overnight enclosure, so his litterbox is now open. We've had a bit of a hay tussle - it currently is added at one of a not very big box, because he's not very big. I wanted to get one of those hay rack/litterbox combinations, so I've been practicing by putting his hay in a small hanging pail in a separate area. He only pulled a little out. So then I hung it over his litterbox, but he didn't really go for it. So I'm guessing he prefers what he's always known, but I'd rather he have very clean hay at all times. Am I overthinking it? Do you think he would eventually adjust?

Separate question, he's a 4 lb bunny in a 3' x 6' overnight enclosure, but free range all day and evening. Is that a big enough space for him?

Thank you for your thoughts and the compliment! It's a funny one! I've moved his castle outside of his overnight enclosure, so his litterbox is now open. We've had a bit of a hay tussle - it currently is added at one of a not very big box, because he's not very big. I wanted to get one of those hay rack/litterbox combinations, so I've been practicing by putting his hay in a small hanging pail in a separate area. He only pulled a little out. So then I hung it over his litterbox, but he didn't really go for it. So I'm guessing he prefers what he's always known, but I'd rather he have very clean hay at all times. Am I overthinking it? Do you think he would eventually adjust?

Separate question, he's a 4 lb bunny in a 3' x 6' overnight enclosure, but free range all day and evening. Is that a big enough space for him?
Not following where he is used to getting hay. I feed mine hay a couple times per day by adding directly into their litterbox. That way there is always clean hay on top. (They tend to do their business at one end of the large litterbox.) That alone is sufficient for hay. Putting a hay rack of sorts over or near the litterbox is just extra. Rabbits generally tend to favor the open, readily available hay that is in a litterbox over hay that they have to work at to get to.

You can try different hay holders in different locations and see what happens over time, though I'd encourage keeping hay in the litterbox at the same time.

Your nighttime-only enclosure is perfectly fine with all the free range time during the day.

Ahh - just that I always fed him his hay in his litterbox. The fancier setup with a hay rack seemed cleaner, but he didn't seem to like reaching for it in the little pail, so I'm guessing the rack would be the same.

As you feed in the litterbox, I trust that it is healthy for him, so I'll save my money on the box/rack combo which also takes up some valuable bunny real estate!

Thanks for all of your help!

Latest posts

Back