One-rabbit-household

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carlie

Reaction score
I want to get a rabbit to live in the house.Will one male rabbit do fine living by himself or does he need afriend? He would be getting lots of attention and run-around time butcould he get depressed? My friend told me that some rabbits just don'tlike companions but are there some who just can't seem to live without?I want him to be happy but I just don't have room for two in my room...Thanks for the advice, I'm just not sure. If he won't be happy livingalone I just won't get one. :sigh

I have one rabbit. She lives in the house and gets run around time when I am home. She seems very happy.

The good thing about rabbits is that they sleep during the day andnight. They are mostly active in the mornings and eveningswhen we are home. So it works out well.

I have thought of getting Gretchen a guinea pig friend. Ihear they get along great and a guinea pig would take up less resourcesthan another bunny, but I probably won't do that anytime soon.

There are some rabbits that don't do well alone, but many are okay as long as they get lots of attention.

Have you checked at the shelters in your area? A pair ofsmall rabbits doesn't take up much more room than one. Theshelters may already have a pair, or might be willing to bond tworabbits for you.

Edit: Jenni, I wanted to add that guinea pigs are not good friends forrabbits. They have different dietary requirements and rabbitscan carry a bacteria that causes respiratory infections in guineapigs. Plus they don't act the same in social settings, so agp will not react to your bun the way another rabbit would.The rabbit can also hurt the gp without meaning to, by accidentlykicking it or mounting it. Rabbits are much stronger andoften much larger than cavies. It's best not to house themtogether.

Thanks for the heads up. I guess I'veheard differing views about it. The House Rabbit Handbooksays that it is okay, despite the bacteria, but that is the onlyopinion I've heard on the subject.

And it is not the only opinion out there.:ponder:

Gretchen really doesn't need a guinea pig anyway.

Latest posts

Back