One of those days...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buck Jones

Reaction score
Gave my crew their monthly weigh-in, inspection and manicure today. Recorded the data in their medical record sheet for future use should it ever become necessary. With the sheet I can track weights from season to season and potentially catch something before it goes amiss.

Everybody is okay, but I slipped twice, in succession, cutting Missy's nails below the quick line on two of her mid-nails on her left paw.. Her nails are white and the quicks are readily visable, but she pulled away at a critical moment during each clipping.

I've never seen as much blood before that I've been responsible for. Kinda schussed around with Missy's struggles to get loose. All over my face and arms as well her own face and body.

Missus was out, so I staunched the blood flow of both nails with the towel I use to trance the bunnieson. When it slowed down somewhat, I applied the styptic powder I keep on hand nearbywith a dampened Q-tip ready to go...the value of be prepared cannot be overstated.

Missus came home and thought something terrible had happened.Little bit of a sponge bath, someointment and the both of us working on her made her look as good as new.

Took a longer time for me to reach that point afterward, believe you me!

Ya never can tell where the day is gonna go.

Buck

Considering how much you cut their nails, Buck,your record's still one of the best. Knowing you, though, I'm sure youwere feeling horrible about Missy. It's so hard when they pull away atthe last minute.

Glad that you stopped the bleeding quickly and she'll be okay.

:)

-Carolyn

I cut the nails on my nieces bunny lastweekend.the nails were black i couldnt see the quick.i cut too short.idont think i have ever done that before.I felt soo bad.bluebird

Uggh....that's such a horrible sight.Iclipped a nail too shortonce with my dog and Inever clipped his nails again myself....I let the groomer handleit. It's unreal how much blood comes out of a little nail!!

I haven't been able to trance Ellie yet, but so far she'sgood about getting her manicure.

Latest posts

Back