Quantcast

One of my babies died last night.

Help Support RabbitsOnline:

rhirhiii

Member
Joined
Aug 8, 2020
Messages
6
Reaction score
1
Location
Dorset
Hey all

I had 4 beautiful baby rabbits from the mum, Bunny.One died of pneumonia at age 3 weeks. The others were sooooo healthy, and progressing really well. However, last night I got home and was unboxing their new goodies from Amazon (grass bed, tunnels, play pen etc) and put some parsley in their cage.They didnt come out from under shelter to eat (they usually eat and eat and eat!!).I was immediately concerned. I found 3 baby rabbits falling over, limp, lifeless and really poorly. One of them started having a seizure. Their illness got really bad within the space of 15 mins. They were fine before. I immediately took them to vet hospital, and my baby Snowy died on the way. The vet said the other 2 were unlikely to make it and recommended against spending the costs for them to die. I had to give them a chance. Today, they are so much better. They’re still a little lethargic but they’re eating and drinking and pooping.My question is what on earth could’ve caused this!? The mum and dad who eat the same foods are absolutely fine. I was panicking in case there was some pesticides on the fresh parsley I bought the evening before. I just don’t know. Please give me any tips. I’m so worried for these ones now in case they deteriorate.
 

Attachments

JBun

Jenny - Health & Wellness Mod
Staff member
Administrator
Moderator
Joined
Sep 10, 2012
Messages
8,691
Reaction score
3,104
Location
Utah, , USA
It's hard to know what might have caused it. They could have nibbled on something toxic. Could be the parsley did have something on it, maybe pesticides. I would just stick with their regular food and hay for now, and with mom nursing them. I hope they continue to improve. I'm very sorry about the little one you lost.
 

Preitler

Loony bunny guy
Joined
Jul 19, 2015
Messages
1,378
Reaction score
957
Location
Austria
They were already used to parsley, right? No new foods introduced?
Did you just start a new bag of hay or pellets - mold could effect little ones faster than adults, although it would be a little strange that all are effected the same way at the same time.
Check that all the food smells right anyway, that there is no mold. A bag of pellets leaning to a cold wall or on a cold floor can start to mold where the bag touches the cold surface because water condenses there, check the food around these spots, or the whole bag if there are bad batches since that could have happened in the past.

Another plossible reason for the whole litters being effected could be mastitis of the doe - check her for swollen, red nipples.

Good luck.
 
Top