One of my 8 month old girl bunnies only had 1 baby!!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riffy

Reaction score
whats going on here? is she sick? the baby is big and looks like she been feeding it do you think she has more bunnies in her and she just cant let them out? what should i do? there is alooooooooooooooooooooot of fur in her cage but i searched everywhere and there is only one! unless she ate them? i dont think she did i dont see any blood or anything...

help me out :?

oo and if this help : her father impregnated her...

8 months old white red eyes possibly a himalayan mix because she is mostly whitee...

?

It's not a big concern, sometimes rabbits only have one baby. :)

As long as she is eating, drinking, using the bathroom and does not seem to show any signs of distress or lethargy, she is probably fine.

One is not uncommon. You might want to keep any eye onthe one baby to make sure it stays warm (it doesn't have the benefit of sibling body heat). Also, as the only one tapping into the "milk source", you don't want him getting fat... If the baby starts getting too "rolly-polly", you can remove the baby and only let her nurse him once a day. Usually, with the demand of only one baby, the mom's milk production will slow up a bit to accomodate the singleton.

Usually if we get one, we remove it from the mom and give it to another doe that is raisng a smaller litter. (If you have another doe that has a litter close to the same age!)

Well, it's ok if it was her dad. Breeders sometimes breed offspring back to their parents to try to bring out some good traits. So no harm really done there. ;)

Like was said above, sometimes they just have one baby. I think it mostly happens with smaller breeds, but it also happens with the larger ones.

It doesn't always depend on age or how many litters they have had before. 8 months is not young when it comes to breeding rabbits. Small breeds can be bred at 6 months and it goes up a little as the breed gets bigger. 8 months I think is when the larger breeds can be bred as it takes longer for them to mature.

It's not a big deal that she only had one baby, I had one doe that every time I would breed her she would only have one baby. So it's nothing to worry about, she may have more next time or she may be like my doe that only ever has one.

Latest posts

Back