On Antibiotics

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm glad that you are pleased with the new vet. How long will he be on baytril.?
Baytril is better than bactrim and if he has not used that drug before it may be effective but he should be on it for more than a week.

The vet said to call her again on Monday to let her know if he is doing better or worse, and then I'll ask her how long he should be on it for, because I too feel that he will need to be on it longer since he is so sick :D

That's good. We always prefer a vet to do a culture of the bacteria to determine which antibiotic it is sensitive to, since so many rabbit pathogens are resistant to many common antibiotics, but with a deep lung infection that's not possible. Baytril is a good choice in this case, as it is a broad-spectrum antibiotic. He should be on it at the very least for 2 weeks (unless there is no improvement over the weekend, as the vet said).

She would've done more extensive testing, but she just wanted to get him on something so that he didn't decline more so since he had a relapse with the bactrim. But we shall see :bunnydance:

i hope you picked up some benebac,with out this the gi tract is going to be impaired,benebac is good bacteria to keep the gi tract in check,,overwise there will be more problems,,i am still at a loss for words,..sincerely james waller

Latest posts

Back