OMG I have never seen a rabbit look this bad before

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The humane society investigator called me today and left a message updating me on Charlie. She said Charlie now has nice short nails and a nice clean cage. She didn't really give me a lot of information. She said the owner Dave, had someone cut Charlies nails and it ended up being someone the humane society worked with. She said the lady said Charlie looked good. I am not sure if this lady was a vet or what. She didn't say if she was a vet or if Charlie was taken to the vet.

I am going to go to the feed store tomorrow and take a look myself. I think I will ask to hold Charlie so I can see how he acts out with his hind legs. It did look like something was wrong with his hind quarters.

Thank you for all the updates and your concern for this poor bunny. I almost want to cry thinking about Charlie. That's sooo sad. I get so sad when I see poor bunnies in little cages at a petstore. That's my weakness. That's why we got our 2 bunnies. They weren't in poor conditions but I really thought they needed our families love. THank you again for keeping us all updated.

lionheadbunny21 wrote:
Thank you for all the updates and your concern for this poor bunny. I almost want to cry thinking about Charlie. That's sooo sad. I get so sad when I see poor bunnies in little cages at a petstore. That's my weakness. That's why we got our 2 bunnies. They weren't in poor conditions but I really thought they needed our families love. THank you again for keeping us all updated.
I feel the same way when I see the buns in pet stores. They look like they'd love to come home with me.

Good to hear that conditions are improving for this poor bunny! Let us know how he's doing when you go see him.

Yep. My friend went with me. I was a little nervous. The owner was there (the same guy that was there last time). Charlie's nails were cut but they were still really long because the quick (sp?) had grown out so much that they still curled a little bit. I hope he keeps the nails cut so the quick will go back some. The feces on the bottom of the cage was still not cleaned. I did get to pet him and he is so sweet. I didn't want to pick him up because he didn't act like he wanted to be picked up. But he sure did melt into the floor when you scratched between his ears. He did hop and move around and seemed to move normal so that made me feel a little better.

I still don't like the way he is living. My friend told me that she thinks I am a little biased on the subject because of the way my animals live. She told me that not everyone is going to keep their animals like that and she is right. I guess if the rabbit has food, water, hay and is medically taken care of, there isn't much I can do. I hate the amount of feces in the bottom of the cage but it is a wire bottom so it isn't like the rabbit is standing on it.

I will keep checking on Charlie to make sure he continues to be cared for and gets his nails trimed. I won't have any issues calling the humane society again if I feel like the owner stops keeping up with him.

The owner did tell me that a couple times a week he lets Charlie out of the cage for 30 minutes while he cleans up the store. That is nice that he gets to come out and run around.

That would be awesome Autumn. It was weird though because he seemed to have pride in having the rabbit. Talking about letting it run around the store and how Charlie leaves little poops all over the floor and he goes and cleans them up. He talked about how the customers just loved Charlie. When I was done petting Charlie he said isn't he the sweetest rabbit? I just didn't expect him to talk about Charlie in a positive way considering the way Charlie was kept.

I don't know, I guess I may never understand why people do the things they do. All I can do is visit Charlie often and make sure he is taken care of. If it ever came to the point that the owner was willing to give him up, I would take him. I would love for Charlie to have a family life, running around the home, and being spoiled as my buns are.

Hmmmm. I wonder, is this an old man? Perhaps he has bad eyes??
It sounds like he loves Charlie, though... sometimes, I think some owners don't see the decline in health over time. I had some family frustrations with that a while ago... wasn't malicious; they just didn't perceive it happening. Could be the same scenario...

I think you could charm the socks off anyone, Amy ;) Glad you are going to visit Charlie; I think you're sweet enough to get some info into his owner :D

I hope so Autumn. He did seem like a nice guy. He is probably in is 50's so I don't think it is his sight lol. He did mention he has mini horses at home. I didn't hear the whole conversation as he was talking to my friend as I was looking at some stuff. May be he got overwhelmed with the store and taking care of the animals at home. May be this was a good wake up call that Charlie needs taken care of too.

I think one of the hardest things with being a big animal lover is when you encounter people, family, friends, or stranges, who don't seem to be taking care of their animals in the way you think they should.

You did the right thing and I bet Charlie is thanking you! It's so disturbing to see small animals kept in small unsanitary conditions! I always feel bad for rabbits who live in stores because once the stores close, they are all alone and in the dark. Keep an eye on him and if it looks like they aren't caring for him, I would personally talk to him or clean the cage up a bit. I once got in trouble for feeding fish in a video store that looked like they hadn't been fed in ages! :p

Call your county animal control. It doesn't matter what they are kept in, they should have their nails trimmed. Don't take him like others suggested. That will only get you into trouble.

I still check up on him. I still don't like the conditions he is living in, but it is better. I wish I could just take him home and show him what it is like living in a loving home. Everytime I see him, I check his nails and make sure he has food and water. He cage is still always gross, but since the humane society has talked to them, they do seem better at taking care of him. I just want to make sure it lasts and isn't something they were just doing because they got into trouble.

Thanks for asking.

no prob..this kinda thing haunts me for a very long time...i lose sleep over this kinda stuff ..i feel ur pain..im so glad u didnt think out of sight out of mind like alot of people do...kudos to you for steppin up.

Latest posts

Back