OMG help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aeyla64

Reaction score

Ok some of you have told me to feed pellets only and some of the brands you use. But all the online nutrition sites say not to feed only pellets. They are too consentrated for house bunnies. To feed timothy hay and some pellets, then some fresh veggies. But what about babies!!! They can not have fresh veggies until they are over 6 months. So they eat mostly hay only??? How does a baby bun grow eating only hay and a little pellets???? Ok are these people going over board or what??? :pullhair:All I want to know is what is best for my baby to grow up to be a healthy happy adult Bunny!!!!! I want to have my beautiful bun girl to live a long and happy life.

So please if anyone knows of a very good artical about the types of food that a house bunny can eat... a baby house bunny and if there is a good list of veggies to feed when she grows up. I know that you need to introduce one at a time and all but I would likea list of the stuff that is good for a reg diet and what is only good for treats.:banghead

I really would appreciate allof yourhelp...:bow

Thanks Jo & Foo Foo:hug1

Hi there! I definitely understand your confusion!

Yes, babies who are weaned eat unlimited pellets and lots of hay. As they mature, they eat more veggies and hay and less pellets. Check outour Feeding Q & Afor more info. Theres lots of great info there.

Hope that helps!

Haley

How old is your bunny?

Young bunnies (under 6 months) should be on a good alfalfa based pellet (Oxbow Bunny Basics 15/23 I think is a good one) and eating alfalfa or timothy hay in unlimited quantities. Young growing buns need that extra protein that they get from alfalfa.

As early as about 4 months, you can slowly introduce veggies, one at a time, monitoring the poops for any strange reactions.

At about 6 months, you should slowly switch your bun over to a timothy based pellet like Oxbow Bunny Basics T.

I'm sure we have some information on this in our library, I'll see what I can dig up.

Edited to add:
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12046&forum_id=17

Right now I have her on an alfalfa pellet and unlimited hay. She is 4 months and before I got her, the prevouse owner (did not research at all) was giving her carrots. I let her have a baby carrot every other eve as a treat when I get home... I was thinking of introducing her to some romaine lettuce next week very slowly. Would that be ok????

She seems in perfect health and her poopies are fine...

I am guess I get worried that I am not doing all the best for my baby. Being a new mom and all...

Thank you all very much I am so glad I found you!!!!

I completey understand your frustrations, i was so completely confused when i got my first rabbit to. For everything that i read that told me one thing there were three t hings that told me something else,lol.

The links that were given are really great and you should find all the information needed there. They do say one thing though is that under six months you really have to watch out when introducing veggies because of diarehha. So if you are going to do it be cautious and give a really small amounts of the romaine and give your bun time to get use to it , all the while watching your buns poops.

LOL! I heard the same confusing things from knowledable bun people; alot of times I've found out they tell you the "texted" version assuming that you know the "lingo" such as my Vet told me to feed my bun "only timothy hay"; so I got on this board and everyone said "NO!" he's to young he needs pellets as well.. So I called my Vet back and he said "I meant ONLY timothy hay and timothy hay pellets - I meant NO other food" until he got older.. Being the new bunny Mom I took everything people told me "literrally"..

I gave my bun both Alfafa and timothy hay (along w/timothy hay pellets - unlimited amount) and then once he got neutored I only give him the hay and a smaller portion of pellets; but do give him vegetable, carrots (sparringly as he got kinda chuncky in the last month - he's approaching 8 months now) raisins (sparingly - 2 a day), about 2 cups a day of red leaf lettuce with some dill and basil; an occasional strawberry, cucumber. Each time I try a new vegy on him, I give him one and wait a day to see if there are any adverse reactions. Find the link in the library (which I believe someone gave you the link) to the approved foods - and tape it to their pen, so when your thinking of trying something out you can see if its ok..

Good for you for being concerned!

Oh, once for a review on a brand of pelets a rabbit owner sent " I dont like it, its too plain" -_-

Latest posts

Back