OMG HELP!!!! Litterbox problems

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hippity18

Reaction score
ok so my two rabbits are not potty trained HELP how do i go about this? where do i start? these are my first bunnies i love them so much but i HATE the clean up:vacuum:

Try to find where they go potty the most, if its multiple spots you'll need multiple litter boxes. put some of their poops in the boxes with litter, and wait and see. if they choose a new spot, move the litter boxes there. you may end up with a house crammed with litter boxes, lol, but its the only strategy I can think of right now.

i honestly dont know, i swear my bunnies all came pretrained, lol. its a lot more difficult with younger bunnies as well, they don't seem to be as picky about being clean...sounds like me as a kid, :p

I used to keep my rabbit in a cage with corrugated plastic flooring and a corner litter pan with wired flooring. No matter how hard I tried to train him, he'd only pee on the floor and I'd wake up every morning to clean the white plastic floor turned yellow from all the peeing. He didn't even pick a corner, it was basically anywhere that seemed good to go.

I got rid of the cage completely because I was just tired of cleaning it up and bought 3 small sized cat litter pans, filled them up with CAREFRESH, a bowl for pellets, and some hay and VIOLA. It really did the trick. I placed the boxes in areas he used to like to pee around the living room put some of his poops in there, and it was like magic.

Now he's cage free and uses his litterbox very consistently. I've had this set up for about 1 week now and he's only had a booboo once. I still wake up a little scared to see what the living room floor will look in the like in the morning but I'm always glad to see he hasn't made a mess! He still leaves some marbles here and there, but mostly right around the boxes and at this one spot he likes to lay and groom himself.

If you don't have the luxury of cage-freeing your rabbit, I suggest that you make the cage floor a completely different consistency than the litterbox. Also, I've noticed rabbits like to pee in areas that seem plush and fluffy (like carpets, beds, linens....carefresh!!!). Entice your rabbit into the litterbox by placing your food bowls in them and also make sure that the walls of the litterbox are high enough so that the rabbit HAS to go in the box to eat and drink. That way he'll stay in longer and will hopefully do most of his bathroom business in there while eating.

Hope this helped!

But seriously, I was really about to give up on my rabbit because he just peed everywhere and would then sit in his pee and lay down in his pee and spray his pee. It was so frustrating having to deal with that and all the biting. Now that the peeing situation is gone, the biting seems a lot less..harder to deal with. He also seems much more happier and started doing binkys now that he doesn't live in a cage most of the day!

Sorry, I meant make the litterbox floor a completely different consistency than the cage floor ie; if you have a plastic cage floor, fill the litterbox with carefresh or something that seems absorbable. I can't stress enough how much I like carefresh. It's also very safe for rabbits, absorbs quickly, and is easy to clean the wet spots. It also doesn't make a mess when the rabbit jumps in and out like wooden shavings do.

:biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2:

Some of ours needed no training at all while others seemed to think the whole house was available. We put boxes with litter pans in the locations they seemed to favor and it worked nicely although there were a few pellets here and there.

Latest posts

Back