Omg bad bunny!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaityMac

Reaction score
milton my newest rabbit who i have had for about 7 months now.
i also have 2 other rabbits, bunns and ruby. milton has not yet been fully
introduced yet! to bunns and ruby because i read somewhere that male bunnies dont do well together plus ruby isnt fix ed and neither is milton. well today i was holding milton and had bunns and rubys cage door open and bunns came to the door bit milton twice and grabbed his paw and tried to yank him in the cage!
what do i do about this agression between these 2?

Get them fixed or keep them apart. Don't leave any doors openand don't let them near each other whilethey are out for your rabbits sake.

I have found that even my fixed bunnies are agressive to other buns they don't like. This may never change, although when Milton is fixed he will smell like a different bunny and Bunns may not recognise him, but for that you will have to keep them apart until at least two months after the neuter.

When the other bunny is about, if it is unavoidable for them to be in the same room, try putting a dab of vanilla just above Bunns nose so that all he can smell is vanilla as opposed to Milton, this has turned out to be a GODsend for me recently :)

Yes, you will need to keep them apart and away from each other until both are fixed and hormones die down. If you plan to bond them, even all three, it's possible, but not guaranteed. Here's a link from our Bunny 101 section regarding introducing buns. If you do plan to bond them, you'll need to follow these steps pretty precisely and take it slow;).

http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/introductions.html

You need to get Milton fixed, you'll have a very small chance of having them get along until both are fixed.

Also keep in mind that some bunnies are aggresive and aren't fond of company, while others buns love to be around other rabbits!! Also male + male I've heard can be hard to bond with. But don't let that discourage you!!!

Hope that was a bit of help,

-TK :)

If they all live in one room, and cannot live elsewhere, there are things you can do to block their interaction with one another while one is out. One thing I do is put this galvanized wire mesh around their cages, though they can still get their teeth around the wires themselves (not any part of their muzzle out, so they can't grab and bite...but if a nose were to get too close, it might get pinched).

A second recommendation: put up some sort of barrier to the other buns' cages. For instance, I use whatever's handy...a big plastic bin full of heavy stuff, you can even clip a cut-open (so, flat) cardboard box to their cages (out of sight, out of mind).

I have to do this blocking idea with my Maisie when I let anyone else out. She gets really stressed when others are out.

So, let me know if you need any help with barrier/blockage ideas, ok?

Oh...one other thing that I thought of doing recently...there are now solid NIC panels at Target that you can build a screen out of (high enough that your bun can't/won't jump over) and use that as a blockade.

Let me know if you need help with specifics, ok?

Hugs!

Rosie*

We didn't know Heidi was a he and Bo absolutely hates him. He immediately would go for Heidi's/Tony's behind and hold on for dear life! Bo is neutered but I highly doubt he and Tony will ever be friendly. Bo bites ME if he smells Tony on me.

Just realized I forgot to mention that the wire mesh is called "hardware cloth", you can find it at any home improvement store, and here are a couple pics of what it looks like:

cagemesh.jpg

000_2173.jpg

Hugs!

I'd just like to add that male rabbits, even unneutered ones, can be bonded, it just isn't common. ;) I'd still get your rabbits desexed, even if it is possible.

Also - Milton may just not be a sociable rabbit. Many, many rabbits are perfectly happy to interact with their human friends, and even other pets, but just do not like other rabbits. It's not uncommon at all. :)

Rachel.

i was wondering if it could be a territorial thing? They arent bonded and your other buns are not going to like him and if he was in "their" area it might be that. Before i started to bond my two when the male would come to the front of the females cage she would charge the cage and bite at it, now they are humping love bugs,lol, but at the time they werent bonded and it was territory aggression. Maherwoman also has a good suggestion

Latest posts

Back