Ollie has arrived, have a question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morquinn

Reaction score
So Ollie the baby Holland Lop came home with me today. He is SO extremely mellow compared to the first day I brought Babs home, maybe he will just be a mellow bunny, who knows I guess. Anyways he is in a temporary bunny cage until I build another NIC, I did let Babs (12 week old lionhead) out of her cage for some free roam time and she made her way to Ollie's cage, they met eyes and she wouldnt leave the area at all. They sniffed each other threw the bars and Babs even licked his fur. Just wondering if this is bad to do? They wont be allowed to free roam together until they are spayed and nuetered but wasnt sure if letting them see/smell/touch each other through the bars would hinder any possible future plans of bonding. Any thoughts?

Well, it's only going to hinder future bonding if one gets territorial and they have a fight through the cage bars. It's best to introduce them on neutral territory to avoid any altercations. If they do get in an altercation, it may be hard to get them to forget that in order to proceed with bonding. I would also say that maybe this is rushing into things. You should just be allowing them to see each other from a distance at this point while the new bun settles in. Just take it slowly to ensure easier bonding later.

If the are both around 12 weeks old, then they are still pretty much babies, and it is very common for most babies to get along. That could change as they get older, but if they aren't showing any signs of being upset, and seem interested in each other, then it will actually help your new bun to feel more comfortable in it's new home, with another rabbit nearby. I would suggest putting their cages right next to each other, maybe with a small gap until you are sure there is no nipping going on. It will help them to get to know each other a little bit before you attempt bonding, and as long as they are getting along, it also makes them happier. If you notice signs of not getting along, or one of them being upset, then you will probably need to separate their cages.

If the are both around 12 weeks old, then they are still pretty much babies, and it is very common for most babies to get along. That could change as they get older, but if they aren't showing any signs of being upset, and seem interested in each other, then it will actually help your new bun to feel more comfortable in it's new home, with another rabbit nearby. I would suggest putting their cages right next to each other, maybe with a small gap until you are sure there is no nipping going on. It will help them to get to know each other a little bit before you attempt bonding, and as long as they are getting along, it also makes them happier. If you notice signs of not getting along, or one of them being upset, then you will probably need to separate their cages.

The new little guy is very frightened, I havent seen him move much or eat much. He is drinking water at this point, whenever Babs is around however he perks right up and fallows her around from inside the cage to wherever she is at in the livingroom. If I am close to the cage or in there checking his food or water he lays very flat with his ears back, even Babs wasnt like that when I first brought her home. However Babs was born and raised indoors, Ollie was born and raised outside. Their cages are on opposite sides of the room but they can still see each other.

as others have said, babies get along with anyone. at 12 weeks old, Babs won't be hormonal yet (hormones kick in around 4-6 mos for females) so you can totally let them out to play together and establish a "baby bond", which will make bonding them for real post-spay/neuter significantly easier.

the one (BIG) caveat is that letting them play together and establish a "baby bond" *needs* to stop once Ollie hits 12 weeks old AND, after that point, you'll need to make sure that when she's having free time, she can't get right up to the bars of his cage and vice-versa. the reason for this is that from 12+ weeks, he could be sexually mature and it only takes a few seconds to end up with a "whoops" pregnancy that she's not physically/emotionally ready to handle. I specified the bit about the cage bars because rabbits CAN mate through a NIC grid. you can definitely still keep them close enough to see/smell each other (in fact, I recommend it)... just make sure that they're always, always separated by a space of at least a couple inches!

I would put their cages right next to each other. With your new little guy being scared, the stress could lead to digestive problems. I got a new rabbit that wasn't used to being around people, and was really nervous being in a new home. I made the mistake of not putting one of my other rabbits near him, so that he would feel more comfortable and safe in his new home, and he ended up getting GI stasis from the stress, and I ended up having to syringe feed him meds, food, and water, for two weeks, until he finally was eating good on his own again. So best to just put your new bun next to your other rabbit, with just a small gap between cages. And if he is younger than 12 weeks, then I agree with Jennifer, that they can play together, and it will also help the new little guy feel safer to be near another bunny. Unless he tries to hump her, that is. Then separate right away as he is already hormonal.

Last edited:
Back