Old Rabbit Book

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eclairemom

Reaction score
My daughter brought home a rabbit book from the 1980's that was in her school library. Now I have to explain that the book is old and things have changed since then. The first page states that rabbits are not suited to be indoor pets. Goes on to talk about how to lift them by the skin at the bottom of the neck while supporting their hind quarters. In housing it talks of how two or more females will live happily in one hutch and how males are destined to live alone. Nothing is mentioned about spaying or neutering. I think I might need to get the school an updated book and ask if they will replace this one.

It was probably a book meant for breeders. ;)
There is nothing wrong with scruffing and supporting the rabbits bottom at the same time. ;)
That is how 4-Hers are taught to carry rabbits and place them in the football hold - it's one of the safest ways to carry rabbits because they can't struggle and get out of your grasp.

Emily

My sister is a middle/high school librarian and last summer I helped her clean out her library. I can't even tell you how many books from the 70's/80's there were. We got rid of the old rabbit books and she put in an order for new rabbit books. I helped her pick out some good ones. :D

My sister was so mad that the previous school librarians did not do their job and 'weed' out the old books. I mean we found a book titled 'our 38 presidents' from the 70's. :biggrin:

:bunnyheart

eclairemom wrote:
It's a kids book :?.  She has brought home others that look like they are from the same grouping about dogs and cats

There are a lot of books in school libraries that are aimed at breeders though.
I was just stating a suggestion. ;)
I have 3 books from that era though that are aimed at breeders/pet owners and I could most definitely see them in a middle school or high school library, but probably not an elementary school.

Emily

Aaaah the 80's... haha

Well hopefully while they are at it they will update the rest of the books too. I can understand old fiction books, but nonfiction, text books, a lot has changed in the last 30 some odd years.

Yes lots has changed in 30 years there are a lot of old books that my daughter brings home even from the 1970's lol. Its a small public school PreK - 2nd there are only 2 classes per grade 130 kids in the school. They aren't going to invest anything they don't have to because they were planning on getting rid of the school but the public outcry was so great they decided to keep it. The library gets books from proceeds from 2 book sales a year and donations.

Latest posts

Back