Old Doe = Wierd Kindler?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Star and Stone Rabbitry

Reaction score
Okay, so I have an old senior doe that's about... oh, I don't know... 4 years or so? Anyway, whenever she gives birth (for several litters, now) she always delivers the babies, and then something extra comes out. No, it's not a deformed kit (which is what I thought the very first time) it's just this big blob of about three inches of skin, or something like skin. I don't know what it is. It's usually very bloody. Does anyone know what this is?

Kiya

Isn't that the afterbirth?
http://www.medterms.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=2174

Rabbits are supposed to eat it to keep the nest clean. And because if they were in the wild the blood would attract predators. Does she not eat hers?

Is she having any troubles with the pregnancies or with raising the kits? I know some (not all) breeders will retire their does after 3-4 years old, maybe she's one that needs to be retired?

Yea isn't that the afterbirth?

My does are somewhat kind of clean, after when they are done giving birth I don't see nothing in the box just the kits. I don't see no blood no nothing.

She's probably getting older and the uterine horns are getting stretched out... the placentas arelarger and isn't getting eaten. Probably time to retire her from breeding. You don't say what breed she is, my Flemish get retired from breeding at 3, Mini Rex at 3-4. I do know someone that breeds his Cals until 5, but the litters get smaller and smaller and the kit motality gets higher.

Yes, I was thinking about retiring her... but that's going to be hard! She was my first BOB... nevertheless, my first DUTCH! :(If I do retire her, she needs to be sold as a pet. I don't want her to sit in the cage all her life...

And yes, her litters have been different. They're not smaller in number... they just all look like runts, or something. They're very small. She had five, and two died. The three left are fine, just abnormally small.

I think I will retire her now that I think about it. Ah...

Thank you!

We all make those decisions, but you're doing the right thing for her. It would be wonderful if you can find a good pet home for her. She hasyears of life ahead of her and she would probably make someone a good companion animal. (She's older, so she'll be calmer and who ever gets her doesn't have to worry about puberty!). You could suggest they get her spayed too...

A number of my retired does are at alocal farm (owned by the county, run by 4-H) that uses them for child education. They get excellent care and they get lots of petting! They are calmer and more laid back...

Latest posts

Back