OK. So what's the CORRECT way to raise a rabbit?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tohkie

Reaction score
I've done my research, and I've even had rabbits for 4 years now, but every website says something different.

Fresh veggies... feed them? Or do they just create digestive problems?
If I feed veggies, then do I not feed pellets?
And how MUCH pellets? Some say for my netherland dwarf, 1/4 cup, others say 1/8 cup.
Or do rabbits thrive when they're ONLY given hay...? My mom told me that she once read somewhere that rabbits are the healthiest if they're ONLY given hay (others will just increase the chances of upsetting their stomach)

The ONLY thing that websites seem to agree on is the unlimited timothy hay.

SO WHAT IS IT??? What do you do? :anotherbun

Honestly there is no set way to raise a rabbit. Everyone does everything different and only the owner knows the right way for theirs. What doesn't work for one person might work for another. Unlimited or limited hay is fine. Pellets should be a portion of the diet and veggies may be used as a treat. That is the general way to feed rabbits. Do not believe everything you read on the internet. . .

There really isn't one right way to raise a rabbit. A lot comes down to what works for each rabbit and owner. One person could have a few rabbits and do thing a bit different for each one.

When it comes to diet, there is a lot of debate. Indoor rabbits who are spayed or neutered tend to need fewer calories and fewer pellets in a day than rabbits living outside, who are intact or are used for breeding.
Veggies do need to be introduced slowly and some rabbits don't tolerate them well.
Hay is not enough for rabbits. Rabbits should have hay as part of their diet, but do need other foods. If a rabbit is having some digestive trouble, only giving hay for a few days can help.

I think that rabbits do best with variety. Limited pellets, lots of hay and some veggies.

Hello :D

Well, I don't believe in one way to care for bunnies. Some bunnies have different needs and really I think if your bun is healthy then you are doing something right. Meaning there is more than one type of good pellet, litter, hay, and way of feeding. There are members here that are successful with many different ways, like no pellets, or restricted pellets. Some feed greens, some don't. I'm a believer in greens and restricted pellets, but that's me.

I have 3 buns and they all have different needs. Freckles is a sickly bunny and just eats a variety of hay. I've recently introduced veggies to him so I'm crossing my fingers. Faith eats 1/8c pellets, min 2c veggies, and unlimited hay a day. Humma eats the same as faith except he gets 1/4c pellets. The difference in pellets is because they are different sizes, and Freckles can't tolerate pellets at all.

You'll get different answers here too but I think the most important things are to avoid things that you know are harmful.

Ahh.. I see how it is...
Well I feed my netherland dwarf rabbit around 3 tbps of pellets a day & unlimited hay. whenever i'm holding her in my hand, i feed her like 1 leaf of cilantro, or a teaspoon of a strawberry something really small like that...

I think it is like just about any other animal with few dietary restrictions. Find what works. The only thing I think is constant unlimited water.

Personally I like unlimited pellets, hay, and water; using veggies as a special food/treat. Have to be careful since it seems many bunnies will tend to overeat

There can be some variation in what's fed. Hay of course is a must. And there are times when pellets should be avoided for awhile. However, I trust Lucile Moore when she writes that going without pellets long-term can have serious consequences eventually.

When Thumper was younger I fed him unlimited hay and pellets. Now that he is older I feed him veggies as well. He has pellets available all day as well as hay, in the evening I give him a bowl of veggies. Mostly the veggies are dark green lettuces or greens. But he occasionally will be given others such as carrots and now and then a little fruit.

On his own he has cut back on the amount of pellets he eats now that he is getting veggies. I do monitor him and if he started putting on more weight than normal I would slowly cut back on how much pellets he would have available per day. It may not work for everyone or every bun but it works for us.

For me there is the added less worry in the off chance something major happened like we were in a car accident and didn't make it home when we should and it took time to contact our neighbor to feed him, at least I know he won't starve or run out of water. He has a large, heavy dish of water as well as a large water bottle.

Like everyone else has said, there is no right way as everybody does it differently.
My bunnies get unlimited hay, herbs everyday (morning) and forages every day (night time) too. They get a tiny egg sized cup of pellets a day, I used to feed a big bowl every couple of days but my buns were slightly overweight so I now do this and they are back to a healthy weight now :) I don't use bowl either, they get their veggies on the floor and pellets thrown into their hay so they have to forage for them. They rarely get veggies, they get rocket, watercress and carrot tops a couple of times a week.

Back