OK SO I AM CONFUSED...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jojo

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

So I am trying to bond my recently neutered bunny Herbie to my newbunny Nala. Herbie is totally chilled out, not aggressive and Nala isreally shy and timid.

Herbie has been recently neutered a few weeks ago and I introduced themon neutral territory 2 days ago. It went really well, no fighting, lotsof mounting (Herbie seemed to be mating her and she seemed quite happywith this). It went so well that they ended up lying down next to eachother and snuggling up.

I have swapped them over into each others cages every night and thecages are side by side. So i introduced them again the next day and shewas quite scared and very vocal and he was trying to mount her and shewas pretty angry and getting annoyed with him and started to getaggressive. Obviously i separated them , but i am totally confused (andso is Herbie -- because he is so friendly to her).

Whats happened? Does she think she is pregnant or something? She willstill sniff him through the cage, but make really squeaking noises ifhe comes near her outside of the cage. She will still 'kiss'him thru the bars, but is showing some aggression to him now whenintroduced the second timeand she seemed to be loving him ontheir first introduction.

Any ideas?

thanks!

:?

2.5 weeks and the lady who i got my new bunnyassured me that 2 weeks was ample (andthat amonthis totally exagerated)and at her rescue centrein 25 years not one rabbit has got pregnant after 2 weeks , but i gave2.5 just in case.

maybe he is too newly neutered and the hormones have not died down and it is annoying her?

2 weeks! No way!

Ive heard 6 weeks for it to be safe. Most people wait 2 months for hormones to completely die down.

If shes not spayed, she could be pregnant. Most likely she is if he wasmounting her. I really dont think 2 weeks is long enough.

I would keep them separate for at least another month. I would also have the female spayed asap!

Haley wrote:
2 weeks! No way!

Ive heard 6 weeks for it to be safe. Most people wait 2 months for hormones to completely die down.

If shes not spayed, she could be pregnant. Most likely she is if he wasmounting her. I really dont think 2 weeks is long enough.

I would keep them separate for at least another month. I would also have the female spayed asap!
:shock:

I was told 6 weeks by my old vet, new vet and the pet shop I got mygirl from. That a male can still get a female pregnant in this time.

If your girl isnt pregnant I would still wait because I dont think hishormones would have calmed down either and that might be why they arefighting.

I've always heard minimum of four. AndI have heard of a few pregnancy cases with neutered males who hadn'tbeen given enough time. So she could be pregnant. Avet check might be a good idea. And if you're not against it,you could have her spayed to prevent unwanted babies coming from arescue bun.

She might also be starting a false pregnancy. The best way toprevent those is to spay her, which is a good idea for her healthanyway.

Did she become aggressive after the first time you swappedcages? She might be stressed about it. When I wasdoing cage swapping for bonding, I only swapped them around about oncea week. Otherwise they got a bit upset.

Thanks guys for your advice, well, i am going tokeep them apart for longer, and am shocked at the 6 weeks thing as myvet said three weeks and the rescue center said 2 -- so i am feeling abit mis informed, if she is pregnant ,I will obviously lookafter them the best possible. She was really quite adamant with me thatin her 25 years no rabbit has got pregnant at 2 weeks.

I will keep you updated on the situation -- and ifmybunisI will report back to her and my vet andcorrect them, but i guess time will tell.

thanks again ,

Latest posts

Back